Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

lesson planning

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM
  • 10 Replies
How far in advance do you make lesson plans? I love homeschooling but hate lesson planning. We've always been more go-with-the-flow or plan a day at a time, but I wonder if I should start doing more advance planning since my kids are getting older.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I don't technically "lesson plan".  We use a boxed curric and the lessons are planned out for me.  I only put them on the calander 30 lessons at a time.  This is how they work for progress reports and report cards.  It is done in 6 week increments.  I really like it this way.

mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I stick to one topic till he masters it. Lesson planning is too stressful to both of us.

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I plan on homeschooling as of July. I am working on putting together materials and such. I don't want to use a boxed curriculum. Every subject seems to be a hodge podge of materials that I am piecing together. I have an outline of what we will cover this year, but am hesitant to do a detailed lesson plan. I have a daily schedule that I am working on, but with loose time frames for the subjects. 

I believe in developing good habits and being responsible. Yet, I don't want to over structure things either. 

Sorry, I doubt that I am of any real help here.

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

blueyedbaker
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I plan a week ahead so my girls know exactly what they will be doing and if they want they can go ahead and do more work.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:32 PM
I try to plan a week so the need help i can slow down and to help where they help at
MOMOFLOTS12
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I HAVE FOUND THAT TEACHING MY SPECIAL NEEDS DAUGHTERS THAT WE TACKLE ONE SUBJECT PER DAY...MONDAY IS MATH, TUESDAY IS READING/WRITTING AND SO ON

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM

We don't lesson plan, we use a variety of curriculum and just do a lesson or two of them each day we homeschool.   Sometimes, we skip subjects and focus more on others.  I pull ideas out of my butt, too, and so do the kids.   We don't always know where our day takes us.

I have a 10 month old and a preK kid who interrupt a lot and change up our days, so we need this flexibility.

However, next year, we are trying something new.   I have written out a rotating schedule, which I might post in another post.   We will try following it instead.   We need some more structure and follow through, and I hate lesson plans.   Our state asks for a daily log of hours spent, but not necessarily "lesson plans"...

oredeb
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM

hi rs, i do mine every fri or sat.  for the next week

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM

How are you outlining what you will cover for the year?  I want to pull my kids from ps and start hsing in the fall.  I have been trying to keep a list of things I want them to work on (especially math, I tested them and made notes of where their weaknesses are).  But I have no idea where to start with history or science.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I plan on homeschooling as of July. I am working on putting together materials and such. I don't want to use a boxed curriculum. Every subject seems to be a hodge podge of materials that I am piecing together. I have an outline of what we will cover this year, but am hesitant to do a detailed lesson plan. I have a daily schedule that I am working on, but with loose time frames for the subjects. 

I believe in developing good habits and being responsible. Yet, I don't want to over structure things either. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this

History and science are actually the easiest.   You can work them on the same topics and such even if they are different grades.

I met a woman that picked a main science topic and a main social studies topic and she would work on those two topics for the year, or even for half a year and then pick another set of topics.

For example, this year, she was doing Astronomy and World Geography, if I'm recalling right, and she mentioned starting life-science the following year and switching to American History.

What you would do is break down the topic into some sub sections, and focus on these maybe on a monthly or bi-monthly basis.   You might do a model of the solar system, a trip to the planetarium, do a unit on atmosphere and gravity, a unit on the planets, a unit on the sun, a unit on galaxies... etc.

Your spelling and vocabulary words can come from your science and/or social studies topic.  You can look for tons of books at the library, many of them will include experiments and such... you can find some lap booking ideas online...  you can have them write letters to astronauts or aerospace engineers.   They can research about Nasa, they can research about the history of space exporation, etc...   You can send away (if you have a little extra funds) for samples of space food and such.   U-tube videos can be your friend, documentaries, etc...

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

How are you outlining what you will cover for the year?  I want to pull my kids from ps and start hsing in the fall.  I have been trying to keep a list of things I want them to work on (especially math, I tested them and made notes of where their weaknesses are).  But I have no idea where to start with history or science.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)