Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Well........

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM
  • 27 Replies

2 days ago, a child brought a loaded gun to school where my boys were going. The next day I took the letter of intent to homeschool to the Board of Education and pulled my boys out of public school. They have been doing great here at home. There's only 18 more days of school, so I am having them work on worksheets in each subject and read. My oldest, 11, is reading Island of the Blue Dolphins and my youngest, 9, who is also a little behind on his reading, is reading a graphic novel about Abraham Lincoln. I'm a little amazed that it was so easy. I was expecting some backlash from the school. Well, so far there has been no backlash. Considering it is testing week there, I was expecting a phone call asking why I pulled them out of school. I think they know why. The child that brought the loaded gun to school said it was an "accident" and he didn't mean to leave it in his pants pocket. Really? He is 11!! What's he doing with a loaded gun in the first place??? Many parents were also upset that we were not notified of the event until our children came home from school. They sent a letter home about what happened. Yes, I'm glad nothing bad happened, but I am not taking that chance with my kids. That was the straw that broke the camels back. I was already going to pull them out next school year and start fresh from the beginning, but this was the violent shove into serious!!!

I am in Kentucky, btw. Only have to turn in a letter of intent to homeschool and that's it. They gave me papers saying they had the right to view all work, attendance records and the like, but I know better. The first of next month I am also joining HSLDA in case we ever have any problems out of the school board here or CPS.

psychic test, psychic development and psychic readings
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Welcome!  Sorry it was such a violent shove, but you'll get the hang of it and be A-ok!

CPS is not allowed to investigate you simply for homeschooling. So put that fear to bed.  I'm not sure of the laws in Kentucky, but it sounds like you have it well handled.  

Again, welcome to the group! 

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Good for you for educating yourself on your homeschool rights & the law. I am glade the transition is going so smoothly for all of you, if you hit some bumps in the road don't be afraid to take some time to help adjust because this is a new thing you are doing & like all new things there needs to be an adjustment period that helps you get used to your family's new normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadeeBellaDonna
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Good for you! I would have done the same thing!! At this point I'm just itching for school to get out so I can start planning and give my letter. Thank God nothing like that had happened... But it also upsets me that schools don't tell you about things like that until after the fact. They do that here in TX too unfortunately :(
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Welcome....just a warning. HSLDA won't be of any help to you if you are not right-wing Christian....just a warning based on your siggy. 

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I have laws in my state that I follow and that protect me in a way. So I don't worry about needing the Hslda. However, is this true, about them only protecting right-wing Christians? - or just tongue and cheek?

Quoting KickButtMama:

Welcome....just a warning. HSLDA won't be of any help to you if you are not right-wing Christian....just a warning based on your siggy. 

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

samsbaby78
by Sara on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Welcome! Oh, and I am in Kentucky too!
celticdragon77
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:03 PM

My kids schools are surrounded by police cars with their lights on, and police men patrolling the grounds. If a person didn't know better, it would be quite alarming. You would think something happened at the school. However, they do it every single day! 

But then I think of theanther extreme - A local school recently was on lockdown for hours - even well after their dismissal time, because a grown man was walking around the school yards with a large knife. He was never arrested, the school just waited till he left. The school sent home notes saying an "incident" had taken place which caused a late dismissal. 

I wish there was a more balanced way of dealing with the world we live in now days. It simply was never dangerous in these sorts of ways, when I was younger. Which makes it hard to comprehend sometimes. My kids think nothing of seeing police cars surrounding their schools - it would have bothered me as a kid. Hell, it bothers me now. 

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I'm reading KY law, and I'm seeing that you are required to establish yourself as an actual school.   That homeschools are considered lumped in with all non-public schools.   So, in KY, a homeschool is required (legally) to follow the same standards and proceedures as a private school.

They have certain subjects required to be taught, certain number of days to school (and hours per day), certain records that must be kept, and certain people who are allowed to ask to see and review those records.

I'm just curious and this is just what I am reading.

kymom23
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I've not read any of that. Now if you are reading it on the Kentucky State Board of Education website, that's what they state. Everywhere else I have researched and even HSLDA says that to homeschool in Kentucky, all you need to do is provide the board of education for your district the letter of intent to homeschool. That you legally do not have to show them anything. Of course I'm going to keep those records anyway. Grades, attendance, etc. But we aren't required to turn that stuff in. I'll do some more research to make sure. Thanks.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I'm reading KY law, and I'm seeing that you are required to establish yourself as an actual school.   That homeschools are considered lumped in with all non-public schools.   So, in KY, a homeschool is required (legally) to follow the same standards and proceedures as a private school.

They have certain subjects required to be taught, certain number of days to school (and hours per day), certain records that must be kept, and certain people who are allowed to ask to see and review those records.

I'm just curious and this is just what I am reading.

kymom23
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Well, if they won't help because I'm not a right-wing Christian (Christian, yes. Beat you over the head with the Bible, NO!! lol Well, more like spiritual. I don't believe in organized religion anymore.) then I will just have to look elsewhere for help. We have some homeschool groups here locally. I am planning on joining one of them.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)