Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

2 days ago, a child brought a loaded gun to school where my boys were going. The next day I took the letter of intent to homeschool to the Board of Education and pulled my boys out of public school. They have been doing great here at home. There's only 18 more days of school, so I am having them work on worksheets in each subject and read. My oldest, 11, is reading Island of the Blue Dolphins and my youngest, 9, who is also a little behind on his reading, is reading a graphic novel about Abraham Lincoln. I'm a little amazed that it was so easy. I was expecting some backlash from the school. Well, so far there has been no backlash. Considering it is testing week there, I was expecting a phone call asking why I pulled them out of school. I think they know why. The child that brought the loaded gun to school said it was an "accident" and he didn't mean to leave it in his pants pocket. Really? He is 11!! What's he doing with a loaded gun in the first place??? Many parents were also upset that we were not notified of the event until our children came home from school. They sent a letter home about what happened. Yes, I'm glad nothing bad happened, but I am not taking that chance with my kids. That was the straw that broke the camels back. I was already going to pull them out next school year and start fresh from the beginning, but this was the violent shove into serious!!!

I am in Kentucky, btw. Only have to turn in a letter of intent to homeschool and that's it. They gave me papers saying they had the right to view all work, attendance records and the like, but I know better. The first of next month I am also joining HSLDA in case we ever have any problems out of the school board here or CPS.

psychic test, psychic development and psychic readings
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Replies (21-27):
Joann.HS
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Welcome to HS'ing.
oredeb
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM

welcome kymom!! glad you brought them home!!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:25 AM
So scary! I'm glad you brought them home!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kymom23
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I swear I am about ready to send them back!! lol Only half kidding. I can't seem to get them to work on anything. They act like since they are home, they don't have to do anything. It's getting on my nerves. I'm hoping we can fall into a routine soon. *sigh*

Quoting Boobah:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM
How is your daily rhythm? Did you take any time off to deschool? I would probably just do field trips, nature study, bean bag math, etc from now until fall and then really begin in the fall. It is SO close to the end of the public school year. Really, just consider enjoying them for a few months, getting your plan together, working on your daily rhythm. But make sure they know you will be beginning full force on this date and just because they are home doesn't mean they don't do anything.
it is funny for me to say this because we do so much learning through living and very little text book work. Lol. But my girls know how much fun we have so that when it is time to do the work, they don't fight me.

Quoting kymom23:

I swear I am about ready to send them back!! lol Only half kidding. I can't seem to get them to work on anything. They act like since they are home, they don't have to do anything. It's getting on my nerves. I'm hoping we can fall into a routine soon. *sigh*

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kymom23
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I guess I could do that. The last day of school for public school is May 14 (I think). I pulled them out last Tuesday. We didn't do anything that day because when I went to the library that morning, I ended up blacking out and busting my head on the concrete floor. Had to take a trip to the ER. Wednesday we didn't do anything really because my head was still throbbing. Thursday I had them work on some worksheets and read a little. Friday I counted as a field trip day because we left out early that morning to go camping with the Cub Scouts. So, really, they haven't done much.

Quoting Boobah:

How is your daily rhythm? Did you take any time off to deschool? I would probably just do field trips, nature study, bean bag math, etc from now until fall and then really begin in the fall. It is SO close to the end of the public school year. Really, just consider enjoying them for a few months, getting your plan together, working on your daily rhythm. But make sure they know you will be beginning full force on this date and just because they are home doesn't mean they don't do anything.
it is funny for me to say this because we do so much learning through living and very little text book work. Lol. But my girls know how much fun we have so that when it is time to do the work, they don't fight me.

Quoting kymom23:

Quoting Boobah:

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:48 AM
You may want to deschool them for a while. I would personally lay off the schooling until autumn, and just get them into reading, games, and arts & crafts at home until then. Use this time to gauge their particular interests and to formulate an approach to education that will work best for your family. PS is a wringer for some kids and we don't know why that kid really brought that gun to school. It may have been for a thrill or for protection from something he felt was a threat at that school. Regardless, your kids were in the same system he was, and they likely need some cooling off time. Just make them stay active for the next few months and observe them. I got to know my oldest so much better in the first few months after I withdrew him from PS. I should have done it sooner, but I tell myself I might not have done it at all, and it was a blessing that I did.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN