Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 days ago, a child brought a loaded gun to school where my boys were going. The next day I took the letter of intent to homeschool to the Board of Education and pulled my boys out of public school. They have been doing great here at home. There's only 18 more days of school, so I am having them work on worksheets in each subject and read. My oldest, 11, is reading Island of the Blue Dolphins and my youngest, 9, who is also a little behind on his reading, is reading a graphic novel about Abraham Lincoln. I'm a little amazed that it was so easy. I was expecting some backlash from the school. Well, so far there has been no backlash. Considering it is testing week there, I was expecting a phone call asking why I pulled them out of school. I think they know why. The child that brought the loaded gun to school said it was an "accident" and he didn't mean to leave it in his pants pocket. Really? He is 11!! What's he doing with a loaded gun in the first place??? Many parents were also upset that we were not notified of the event until our children came home from school. They sent a letter home about what happened. Yes, I'm glad nothing bad happened, but I am not taking that chance with my kids. That was the straw that broke the camels back. I was already going to pull them out next school year and start fresh from the beginning, but this was the violent shove into serious!!!

I am in Kentucky, btw. Only have to turn in a letter of intent to homeschool and that's it. They gave me papers saying they had the right to view all work, attendance records and the like, but I know better. The first of next month I am also joining HSLDA in case we ever have any problems out of the school board here or CPS.

psychic test, psychic development and psychic readings
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
kymom23
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Yay!!! I'm in Pulaski County. Where are you, if you don't mind me asking.

Quoting samsbaby78:

Welcome! Oh, and I am in Kentucky too!

psychic test, psychic development and psychic readings
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes this is true, which is ok. I'm not judging them, but I hate that they don't specify that they are a religious-political organization not like a team of lawyers dedicated to defending all HSers. It's one of the reasons that they refuse to give any assistance or guidance for those with custody disputes or going through a divorse...if a family is a HS family and the parents break up and the custodial parent wants to continue HSing, but the non-custodial parent fights them, HSlda won't help because of their religious stand on divorce. Also, members are flooded with propaganda spam-mail. It's sad because I think as a community we should have an organization like it, but not one that gives preferential treatment to a small portion of the population. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

I have laws in my state that I follow and that protect me in a way. So I don't worry about needing the Hslda. However, is this true, about them only protecting right-wing Christians? - or just tongue and cheek?

Quoting KickButtMama:

Welcome....just a warning. HSLDA won't be of any help to you if you are not right-wing Christian....just a warning based on your siggy. 

samsbaby78
by Sara on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM
I am in Hart, inbetween etown and bowling green.

Quoting kymom23:

Quoting samsbaby78:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM

As with everything, just do your research. It can get expensive to shell out money for all the SUPPOSED safety nets out there. But as long as you follow your states laws, to the letter, then the BOE has zero standing against you. And they can't involve CPS if you have filed and followed laws. You can fully refuse a CPS' enterance into your home if HSing is their 'basis of complaint'. 

I, personally, dislike HSLDA's propaganda more than anything else. They inundated members with emails that are blatantly untrue and politically skewed. For instance, a couple of years ago they sent out mailers that California had made HS illegal. The mailer indicated that this is what most states were currently debating so your state is next. Come to find out, after LOTS of personal research, there was a court case where a family had been investigated for severe abuse and the kids had been removed from the home. When the courts asked why the kids had never been registered for school the parents claimed to be hsers. when the judge asked the parents failed to file any of the notices of intent (CA law at that time) for several years, they said it must have been lost in the mail. So the judge made some comment like "homeschooling shouldn't be a legal option for you". That's it. HSLDA, when sending their mailers, failed to mention the fact that a family court judge does not make any law, nor was there the mention of the extensive physical abuse these kids had allegedly suffered. But, in the next year CA did revise their laws so that HSers now can file as a private school entity. But HSLDA really dislikes any kind of reporting laws - which I can understand - but as a legal organization you'd think they could be clearer on the actual law process. Lol  even their overviews of each state laws has been found to be out of date. It's one of the a sons I tell people to google their state laws instead of just going to the HSLDA website, as they might get into trouble.

I'm not a Christian, but I am spiritual. I've known several people, like myself, who sought advice but when the organization found out their religious or political affiliation, they were dropped from their membership. So if one is a liberal or  non-Christian or homosexual, etc then that person might not be aided in a time of need by the organization. 

Quoting kymom23:

Well, if they won't help because I'm not a right-wing Christian (Christian, yes. Beat you over the head with the Bible, NO!! lol Well, more like spiritual. I don't believe in organized religion anymore.) then I will just have to look elsewhere for help. We have some homeschool groups here locally. I am planning on joining one of them.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Welcome....just a warning. HSLDA won't be of any help to you if you are not right-wing Christian....just a warning based on your siggy. 

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Quoting KickButtMama:

But as long as you follow your states laws, to the letter, then the BOE has zero standing against you. And they can't involve CPS if you have filed and followed laws. You can fully refuse a CPS' enterance into your home if HSing is their 'basis of complaint'. 

I know a lot of people do not like homeschooling laws, but this why I don't mind them. I know that my butt is covered because my state has defined laws. As long as I follow them, they can not bother me. As a bonus, I get the benefit of utilizing the public school in the way of extra curriculum activities, books, etc.

ugh, I accidentally deleted what you wrote, but another reason to not use Hslda laws as a be all end all, is that your district can have some minor specifications that they request. In my state, an evaluator is required, and they can have some minor suggestions as well. 

I've known several people, like myself, who sought advice but when the organization found out their religious or political affiliation, they were dropped from their membership. So if one is a liberal or  non-Christian or homosexual, etc then that person might not be aided in a time of need by the organization. 

I did not realize that was legal. Isn't that discrimination? Odd, for any legal counsel to present themselves in this sort of way. 

Quoting kymom23:

Well, if they won't help because I'm not a right-wing Christian (Christian, yes. Beat you over the head with the Bible, NO!! lol Well, more like spiritual. I don't believe in organized religion anymore.) then I will just have to look elsewhere for help. We have some homeschool groups here locally. I am planning on joining one of them.

Quoting KickButtMama:

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Oh you poor thing. This happened to me but it wasn't an "accident". The boy admitted her was going to hurt people including my daughter. My daughter called me collect from a pay phone in the lunch hall and I rushed down to get her. That was her last day of public school.

The school is not going to fight you on this right now because honestly you can sue them blind. My school board usually wants lists of all the books you are going to use but that day they asked for nothing. They just had me sign my name on a form and were happy to see me leave. They have also tried to push for more but I know my state laws and no they are not getting anything I am not required to give.

I wish you all the best. This was the best decision we ever made and I hope it is for you too. It is a bad way to start but it makes for a great story later on. Just rest and relax right now. You have all been through a lot.

kymom23
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Ok I see what you are saying. Looks like hslda is just going to have to do without us!! That's ridiculous that they would skew something like that!! I will be doing more research on the state laws. Thanks so much!! I had no idea they were like that!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

As with everything, just do your research. It can get expensive to shell out money for all the SUPPOSED safety nets out there. But as long as you follow your states laws, to the letter, then the BOE has zero standing against you. And they can't involve CPS if you have filed and followed laws. You can fully refuse a CPS' enterance into your home if HSing is their 'basis of complaint'. 

I, personally, dislike HSLDA's propaganda more than anything else. They inundated members with emails that are blatantly untrue and politically skewed. For instance, a couple of years ago they sent out mailers that California had made HS illegal. The mailer indicated that this is what most states were currently debating so your state is next. Come to find out, after LOTS of personal research, there was a court case where a family had been investigated for severe abuse and the kids had been removed from the home. When the courts asked why the kids had never been registered for school the parents claimed to be hsers. when the judge asked the parents failed to file any of the notices of intent (CA law at that time) for several years, they said it must have been lost in the mail. So the judge made some comment like "homeschooling shouldn't be a legal option for you". That's it. HSLDA, when sending their mailers, failed to mention the fact that a family court judge does not make any law, nor was there the mention of the extensive physical abuse these kids had allegedly suffered. But, in the next year CA did revise their laws so that HSers now can file as a private school entity. But HSLDA really dislikes any kind of reporting laws - which I can understand - but as a legal organization you'd think they could be clearer on the actual law process. Lol  even their overviews of each state laws has been found to be out of date. It's one of the a sons I tell people to google their state laws instead of just going to the HSLDA website, as they might get into trouble.

I'm not a Christian, but I am spiritual. I've known several people, like myself, who sought advice but when the organization found out their religious or political affiliation, they were dropped from their membership. So if one is a liberal or  non-Christian or homosexual, etc then that person might not be aided in a time of need by the organization. 

Quoting kymom23:

Quoting KickButtMama:

kymom23
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:54 AM
Yeah my boys were shaken up a bit. My oldest knows the boy that brought the gun. They were in the same homeroom!

They are doing well so far. I'm kind of letting them do a review right now. To see where they are at. My youngest hates to read. The librarian in the children's section of our public library showed me graphic novels of real historic events!! He's loving it!! The one he's reading right now is on the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. He's actually enjoying himself and that makes me so happy. :)

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Oh you poor thing. This happened to me but it wasn't an "accident". The boy admitted her was going to hurt people including my daughter. My daughter called me collect from a pay phone in the lunch hall and I rushed down to get her. That was her last day of public school.

The school is not going to fight you on this right now because honestly you can sue them blind. My school board usually wants lists of all the books you are going to use but that day they asked for nothing. They just had me sign my name on a form and were happy to see me leave. They have also tried to push for more but I know my state laws and no they are not getting anything I am not required to give.

I wish you all the best. This was the best decision we ever made and I hope it is for you too. It is a bad way to start but it makes for a great story later on. Just rest and relax right now. You have all been through a lot.

kymom23
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:56 AM
That's not too far from me. Bowling Green is about 45 minutes away.

Quoting samsbaby78:

I am in Hart, inbetween etown and bowling green.

Quoting kymom23:

Quoting samsbaby78:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM

It is discriminatory, IMO, but there is no law saying a lawyer must take your case. They can deny you for any reason they choose. It's, sadly, no more illegal than a HS group denying me entry because I'm pagan and they only accept people who sign a statement of faith. I can't take them to court for it....not that I'd want to, since that would make things awkward if a judge said they had to accept us..lol..

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting KickButtMama:

But as long as you follow your states laws, to the letter, then the BOE has zero standing against you. And they can't involve CPS if you have filed and followed laws. You can fully refuse a CPS' enterance into your home if HSing is their 'basis of complaint'. 

I know a lot of people do not like homeschooling laws, but this why I don't mind them. I know that my butt is covered because my state has defined laws. As long as I follow them, they can not bother me. As a bonus, I get the benefit of utilizing the public school in the way of extra curriculum activities, books, etc.

ugh, I accidentally deleted what you wrote, but another reason to not use Hslda laws as a be all end all, is that your district can have some minor specifications that they request. In my state, an evaluator is required, and they can have some minor suggestions as well. 

I've known several people, like myself, who sought advice but when the organization found out their religious or political affiliation, they were dropped from their membership. So if one is a liberal or  non-Christian or homosexual, etc then that person might not be aided in a time of need by the organization. 

I did not realize that was legal. Isn't that discrimination? Odd, for any legal counsel to present themselves in this sort of way. 

Quoting kymom23:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)