Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Registered for classes at a new co-op! Blessings!

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 13 Replies

I e-mailed, months ago, a woman about the largest co-op in our area. It's a protestant group, we're Catholic, and none of the other larger Christian co-ops would accept us because we couldn't agree to a protestant statement of faith (i.e. "non denominational christian co-op" apparently meant "protestant non denominational", lol). I expected the same would come from this co-op.

It didn't. The very kind woman asked me if I could sign the SOF simply acknowledging that this is the perspective from which they taught, and if I could show care in choosing courses accordingly (read: not choose anything that may cause discomfort for my daughter OR the instructor). She was so kind! I had registration today. When I found out one of the classes I had wanted was full, she suggested General Science - when I replied, hesitantly, that I didn't think it was a good idea, instead of getting defensive (like I expected) she just replied "oh! The young earth perspective", smiled, and moved on, suggesting the writing class instead.

We do also belong to a Catholic co-op, but it only meets two fridays a month for a couple hours. THIS other co-op will meet once a week, for an entire day. It's really neat - like a private school model! Pricey, but the once a week classes are taught by actual teachers and sound like loads of fun.

The courses she'll take this fall will be:

IEW writing

Grammar (Shurley Grammar)

Engineering

Anatomy

She'll have homework from each class, daily at home. At home, she will also have (with me as instructor) math, history, religion, spelling, and literature.

Oh, and another super cool thing about the co-op... the language arts teachers have experience with dyslexic students!

Just had a good day and thought I'd share!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Congratulations.  Engineering sounds very cool.  We will be starting a new co-op as well.  We also finally found one that make us sign a statement of belief.  We just had to sign a statement saying we respected their beliefs.  It is really good feeling when you find a really awesome group.  

My oldest is taking Art, Science, a class on Math games and logic, and PE. This year he was taking computer science but the teacher is sick and won't be doint it next year.  

My youngest is taking Art, Science, Chess, and PE.

It has been really good for us.  I love all the teachers and the experiences they have had.  

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:20 AM

That's awesome! I'm glad you found one. I'm the director of our local co-op, but we are 100% secular (I'm sure you're shocked! Lol). My kids LOVE our co-op. we meet for 12 weeks twice a year. I usually teach science and-or math classes, and this semester I did our Camp Half-Blood class again (Greek Mythology). In the fall I'll be teaching physics and Egyptology. 

Joann.HS
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM
So cool. I love something like that for my children.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I am thinking of doing physics as well next year.   I did physics a couple of years ago and had so much fun.  I have my eye on a couple of books already.   I am also teaching a class on Math as well.  Funny thing is I hated taking math and science in school.  LOL  

Quoting KickButtMama:

That's awesome! I'm glad you found one. I'm the director of our local co-op, but we are 100% secular (I'm sure you're shocked! Lol). My kids LOVE our co-op. we meet for 12 weeks twice a year. I usually teach science and-or math classes, and this semester I did our Camp Half-Blood class again (Greek Mythology). In the fall I'll be teaching physics and Egyptology. 

ElleAimeleVie
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:39 PM

That's great! 

Precious333
by Julia on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Thats great!

I am apart of a program that meets.once a week like a co-op, is nondemonational christain statement of faith, however at the one we are at anyone can join as lonf as they acknowledge what we teach.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Thats awesome.

ablessedlife
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM
You are truly blessed! Your daughter will learn so much, and have fun too!
We have used IEW and it truly is excellent, although it is very pricey.
ablessedlife
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Quoting jen2150:
What are group would you be doing the physics with? Could you share with us the books that you are looking at?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)