Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Lesson plans + Curriculum creations

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM
  • 18 Replies

I noticed some people saying that they create their own curriculum. I am curious what exactly that entails. 

Also, I am curious to see examples of people's lesson plans, if anyone minds sharing. 

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Well we create our curriculums by getting books on subjects we are studying and learning from them. It is really that easy.

Right now we are studying whales. So we went to the library and got books on whales, then found videos on Netflix to watch, and got an activity box from the library on whales, and then went to the aquarium to learn even more. That was our curriculum for that subject.

When we learned about recycling we did the same thing. We got books and movies and did projects and found ways to change how we lived to better our environment. We went to a water treatment plant to learn how sewage is recycled. We made charts and set up a stand in the grocery store to help sell reuseable shopping bags and ask people to recycle their bags they had at home.

Our cooking curriculum is even easier. We make dinner. I started teaching the class when Z was 12 years old. We watching cooking show, found recipes, bought new things, went to a butcher shop to learn how to break down meats, went to the fish monger to learn how to filet fish, visited farms, did classes on how much food costs at each store, etc. Now she is 18 years old and going to the Culinary Institute of America in the fall. It can be really amazing.

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Thank you. That helps. I thought this was what was meant. That or just finding whatever textbooks, workbooks, books, activities, worksheets, etc they could find that met their approval. But then I wondered if they meant that they were actually "creating" their own curriculum. I saw a blog where a lady seemed to be creating the educational materials her children used. She had publisher on her computer and enjoyed creating interactive maps, worksheets, reading materials, etc. 

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Well we create our curriculums by getting books on subjects we are studying and learning from them. It is really that easy.

Right now we are studying whales. So we went to the library and got books on whales, then found videos on Netflix to watch, and got an activity box from the library on whales, and then went to the aquarium to learn even more. That was our curriculum for that subject.

When we learned about recycling we did the same thing. We got books and movies and did projects and found ways to change how we lived to better our environment. We went to a water treatment plant to learn how sewage is recycled. We made charts and set up a stand in the grocery store to help sell reuseable shopping bags and ask people to recycle their bags they had at home.

Our cooking curriculum is even easier. We make dinner. I started teaching the class when Z was 12 years old. We watching cooking show, found recipes, bought new things, went to a butcher shop to learn how to break down meats, went to the fish monger to learn how to filet fish, visited farms, did classes on how much food costs at each store, etc. Now she is 18 years old and going to the Culinary Institute of America in the fall. It can be really amazing.

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM
2 moms liked this

Here is a class syllabus I created recently.  Usually I just pick a couple of core books and create projects and experiments to go with them.  It was for  a co-op that I taught  but I think it can give a fair idea.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1URAzkJHi3574yCYX_dUstmyLNV5zeDR3tP6tPucpWV8/edit?usp=sharing

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Impressive. Thanks!!! 

Quoting jen2150:

Here is a class syllabus I created recently.  Usually I just pick a couple of core books and create projects and experiments to go with them.  It was for  a co-op that I taught  but I think it can give a fair idea.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1URAzkJHi3574yCYX_dUstmyLNV5zeDR3tP6tPucpWV8/edit?usp=sharing

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Thank you.  It only took a couple of days working a couple of hours each day.  It really helped to write down what I had planned.  Also I didn't follow it exactly and made changes as I needed to but I could go back and see what I had planned.  I know you will do great.  It is learning process like anything else.  

Quoting celticdragon77:

Impressive. Thanks!!! 

Quoting jen2150:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM

We use an eclectic mix of curricula and I write my own lesson plans from them, if that's what you mean.

A  lesson plan, for my rising 7th grader, would be a planning sheet from Donna Young printables. Her subjects written down the side, assignments within those subjects written across in each "day" box.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

We unschooled for a very long time and when the kids showed an interest in something we would find various resources, library books, websites, worksheets, and field trips to foster that interest.  No lesson plan, just taking things on ourselves, sometimes even going right to the source and speaking with experts.  

Now that we have a bit more structure, I still don't follow a set curriculum or set lesson plans.  We do use more concrete resources now, but piece them together ourselves.  for example we use Saxon Math, Hake Grammar, Apologia Science, etc.  We still make it our own and do things our own way.   Our "lesson plan" is just a weekly outline of math 4x/wk, grammar 3x/week, science 2x/week, etc, and continuing where we left off, lol.  Simple, stress-free, fun, and effective.

CaitsCookies
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I'm glad you posted this question. I have a rare bit of time to work on planning. I'm pulling up the free ebooks on Project Gutenberg.
CaitsCookies
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

<a href="http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Category:Bookshelf"> Project Gutenberg "Bookshelves" </a>

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM
What ages I do it different from my preschool and my 5 th grade and 9th grade.
Preschool we use
www.havefunteaching.com
Damand.com Password:BOB
I go to the library to help with topic.
www.world books.com
Hyoergrammar(I look on my on the search
bar). I use Netflix to help with science and Social Studies. We put up words by the thing like we have a chalkboard so you see wgat we are talking about it. It is like spelling words for preschoolers.
The children me out projects.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN