Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Middle School and High School English

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:51 AM
  • 3 Replies

I have a question about English. My older dd is in a Collegiate High School earning her diploma and her AA degree at the same time and I have noticed that she really doesn't do a lot of "grammar" work.  They are mainly working on literature.  She does A LOT of vocabulary work too.I just talked to her about when she stopped working on the grammar part of English and she said it was about in the 7th grade.  She said they would maybe write in a journal, but never concentrated on the grammar parts.  I know most homeschoolers do a lot of literature reading, but my youngest dd doesn't like reading, so I am afraid that literature is going to be a hard class to try to get her interested in. 

So my question is, what do you teach for your English class?  Is it a lot of grammar or a lot of reading?  Do you do reports?  I am just looking to get a feel of middle school and high school English classes.

Thanks

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Imo, there are three components to a well-rounded Language Arts course: Grammar, Literature and Composition (writing). We did a segment on Greek and Latin roots, but vocabulary from here on out is based on what we're reading.

My sophomore has a grammar workbook that we use quite casually, but honestly, she's pretty much got it down. What she doesn't get is corrected and dealt with in the context of her writing, not as a separate unit.

While she'll write fiction all day, it's pulling teeth to get an essay out of this child. On the flip side, she loves to research, so a 6-8 page research paper isn't nearly as difficult as a 3 paragraph character analysis. Kids are weird. *gg*

And yes, then there's reading. Lots of reading. She's a huge reader, but literature isn't just reading; it's absorbing, analysing, cross-referencing, intertextualizing, finding metaphors and symbolism and theme...all that good stuff.

So we do all of it for our Language Arts course. Hope that helped!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM

We do a lot of literature, but we work the grammar into their journals/reports on what they are reading. So if we come across a simile in a literature piece, we'll discuss how it's different than if the author had chosen a metaphor. See? 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:43 PM

See, I've always seen composition as including the grammar...but, then, you've seen how well I write! Lol

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Imo, there are three components to a well-rounded Language Arts course: Grammar, Literature and Composition (writing). We did a segment on Greek and Latin roots, but vocabulary from here on out is based on what we're reading.

My sophomore has a grammar workbook that we use quite casually, but honestly, she's pretty much got it down. What she doesn't get is corrected and dealt with in the context of her writing, not as a separate unit.

While she'll write fiction all day, it's pulling teeth to get an essay out of this child. On the flip side, she loves to research, so a 6-8 page research paper isn't nearly as difficult as a 3 paragraph character analysis. Kids are weird. *gg*

And yes, then there's reading. Lots of reading. She's a huge reader, but literature isn't just reading; it's absorbing, analysing, cross-referencing, intertextualizing, finding metaphors and symbolism and theme...all that good stuff.

So we do all of it for our Language Arts course. Hope that helped!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)