Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ruining the economy UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

MY husband and I where talking and he out of the blue says homeschooling ruins the economy! what I did a double take and was like no its not. I was wondering what you guys think do you think its slowly ruining the economy ?

I had him read the reply's that you lady's posted and he did say he understands everything you guys have said. His reasoning on the whole economy is that enough people start homeschooling where there is no need for as many teachers so they lose their job and we lose schools because there is not enough students to keep the schools alive so in return ruining the economy that way. I responded there will always be a need for ps because your  always gonna run into people whose choice is the ps system. I say tho if anything we make the classes smaller so the kids who have to stay in ps get more one on one attention from the teacher where I think that just benefits the other children. what are your thoughts on that?

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this

That's ridiculous. If anything, we spur it, what with our curriculum addictions and all.

We pay taxes on schools we don't use, allowing that money to be used for *elsewhere* within the school system, we purchase curricula, extracurriculars, outsourced classes, and art/office supplies. We give BACK to the economy children who are raised to be critical thinkers, tend to far outperform public school students on SATS and other standardized tests; students who do well in college and either contribute to the success of other companies or create their own (thus creating jobs).

I've never heard anything so silly. Lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I don't understand this thinking at all.  And he can't explain why he thinks this at all?  I would really like to know his reasons, lol.

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a valid arguement there, just not one worth supporting, in my opinion.

I am NOT raising a consumer literate child, raising them with brand loyalty values, in a socially immature shallow cultured environment, with poor math skills to foolishly make bad decisions with their finances, zero social studies or science skills to understand the larger impact of ones decisions. Where value of STUFF and SELF trumps solid education, character,environment, social causes, etc.

PS Why is Cafemom now highlighting random words in my comments (on my ipad it doesnt show up, but it does on my laptop)? This website is a perfect example of branding going too far. I would rather pay a membership fee to use this site than be bombarded with their ridiculous advertising. Can you tell that I have issues with this topic?!  

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Omg, it never occurred to me to think of it that way....dang, gues. We will be responsible for ending some consumerism....awwww...lol.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I am NOT raising a consumer literate child, raising them with brand loyalty values, in a socially immature shallow cultured environment, with poor math skills to foolishly make bad decisions with their finances, zero social studies or science skills to understand the larger impact of ones decisions. Where value of STUFF and SELF trumps solid education, character,environment, social causes, etc.

PS Why is Cafemom now highlighting random words in my comments (on my ipad it doesnt show up, but it does on my laptop)? This website is a perfect example of branding going too far. I would rather pay a membership fee to use this site than be bombarded with their ridiculous advertising. Can you tell that I have issues with this topic?!  

mamaof2n1angel
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I jsut  dropped over a thousand  dollars on  both my  kids' tutition for  the  next school year... that is half of what my  sister's  PRIVATE  school tutition cost my parents!!!!!!!!!!! and  mind you my  parents like the fact i  homeschool........... it is  easier  on me and tem.....

Momof697
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Lets not forget the food that we have to buy because they are not at school eating our tax dollars.

Quoting KrissyKC:

If anything, it's helping it.   Because I pay the same taxes and then go out and buy everything we need for schooling, and the government doesn't have to pay to school my kid.  LOL!

But I'd really like to know why your DH thinks that. 

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Sorry, but that is the silliest thing that I have ever heard.  Ask him for some statistics on that. LOL

tinkerspell
by Kera on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM

me and my naighbor where talking about this and she says that the public school is supplied thru property taxes so anybody who owns a house pays it but they dont use any of the taxes from reguler sales at all how much is that true ?

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Time to buy an economics book and homeschool your HUSBAND. No, I'm guessing it isn't an economics book he needs so much as critical thinking skills. Sigh! I'm guessing he is a product of a really bad public school...poor guy!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:34 PM

But in that argument one would be supposing that a strong economy is based upon buying a plethora of cheap junk.  A truly strong and resiliant economy is created through an informed consumer.  Since we teach our children critical thinking skills one would suppose that those skills would help create an informed consumer who would use his/her capital to purchase quality items.  IMO that would create a stronger and more resiliant economy in the  long run.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)