Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Kids ages currently: 11, (almost) 9, 5, and 10 months... "grades" next year: Advanced 6th, fourth, KG... I will post our daily schedule in replies because it keeps disappearing my paragraphs...
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM

It's new to us, we haven't tried it.   I have a 10 month old, so this past year, we just used time4learning.com and Rod & Staff english as well as a few extra projects and reading stuff.   We will be a LOT more structured next year, so I'm sure there will be an adjustment.

However, they are excited and looking forward to it!   They saw me making a schedule for the wall, and they wanted me to explain... and they got really pumped.

Quoting almondpigeon:

I've never thought of breaking up subjects in different days like that. Do your kids like doing it that way? I may try that next year.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, and I'm going to do alphabet/phonics and printing with my KG while the other's do their daily dos, and while I am working with them on their maths and englishes and stuff, their sister will get to do time4learning.com kindergarten lvl.    Then she will just "join" us on the other subjects as much as she can.

almondpigeon
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM
My 4 yo will be starting kinder next year & I've wondered about scheduling changes since I'm throwing another kid in the mix. I'm definitely going to consider this. Thanks for the idea!

Quoting KrissyKC:

It's new to us, we haven't tried it.   I have a 10 month old, so this past year, we just used time4learning.com and Rod & Staff english as well as a few extra projects and reading stuff.   We will be a LOT more structured next year, so I'm sure there will be an adjustment.

However, they are excited and looking forward to it!   They saw me making a schedule for the wall, and they wanted me to explain... and they got really pumped.

Quoting almondpigeon:

I've never thought of breaking up subjects in different days like that. Do your kids like doing it that way? I may try that next year.

oredeb
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM

sounds good krissy! start of a great schedule!

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM
I'm interested to see how this works for y'all.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Sounds like a great plan!

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Yeah but the teacher that over sees i school said we had to have math writing everday
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM

If it's required by law to do "math" every day, then you don't have to do a whole class of math.   You could just do some quick review and maybe some math play, manipulatives, or a few worksheets.   Then focus on the ones you want to focus on that day.

When you aren't focusing on English and writing, you can just do handwriting and/or journal time briefly and then move onto those subjects.  

You could still do a rotating schedule, but just throw in some things like I did my "daily do's"..   Make 15 minutes of flash cards and some time working with money or fractions part of your daily do's as well as 15 minutes handwriting and 15 minutes journal.  You would have some math and some writing every day.

Quoting motheroffour186:

Yeah but the teacher that over sees i school said we had to have math writing everday

ablessedlife
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM
We couldnt get through our math curriculum if we did it only twice a week. What are you using?
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM

When you "block" out your schedule like that, you do more than one lesson each day.   You don't do the ENTIRE lessons, but you give abridged versions.   Less work on areas they have down pat and more work on areas they don't.    

I haven't tried it yet, but some schools have been moving that direction and I've heard other HS moms swear by it.

Basically, you teach 2-3 lessons worth (pending on how well the child grasps it)... assign 1/3-1/2 of the problems and give "class time" to complete some of it.

Move onto teaching your other block subject, say for us, it will be American History and History of Missions...

Return to the mathwork after maybe some excercise or something or snack...  But get them back into the math mind with either a speed drill or some flash cards or maybe one of the warm ups from a lesson that you didn't teach because you lumped your lessons together....   Give them some example problems on the "board" again and watch to see how they solve them...

Then set them back to work while you go get some laundry done, teach a younger, etc...   If you have an independent worker, you can usually let them finish unless they need help.  

This kills 2-3, and even 4 lessons (if the child is really advanced and almost knows it before you teach it.) In one day.   If it bothers you to not have SOME math on the days between, then don't teach the whole class, just do a speed test, or put some challenge problems on the board for them to do while you are helping another child with their english.... or assign the work as "homework" that day that they do independently.

There are a lot of possibilities, but since I haven't actually put it to practice yet, I can only make a hypothesis.

Quoting ablessedlife:

We couldnt get through our math curriculum if we did it only twice a week. What are you using?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)