Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How much have you spent this year?

Posted by   + Show Post
Will you spend more next year?
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM
I am making my own this year so if I find hands on things I will buy like toys games movies books things for projects blocks puzzles and I buy all through the year
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Every tax time, we put about $1500 toward their curriculum and any extras we want including annual memberships to at least one educational place (science center, zoo..)...

Out of that 1500, I usually will buy supplies at the tax free days, some "school clothes" (jeans and underwear for each kid), and have a couple hundred to start our extra curriculars for the year (sports, club fees, etc..)

That isn't everything we do, but it's a good chunk of it.   DH helps pay for stuff, too, out of his paycheck.  Like, this year, the kids want to do Drama, Choir, Instrument, and each gets a sport.   My oldest two will be the only one's doing three of them, and the third will get a sport and maybe something else for her.

I'm not sure we can afford it all, though.   That will be approx $150 monthly just for the older two, plus all their sports fees.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I haven't started yet, but since I am hoping to not be working, I really can't spend much.  I think most of it will be on field trips, which we do anyway-I try to get the library passes for everything I can.  I also buy a lot of books at the Goodwill.  And DD does dance for free, she can only do summer theater camp with a scholarship (whether I work or not, we can't afford it), and DS really only likes basketball which we do vie parks and rec for like $25.  I will want to get him into something else too though for the rest of the year.

I'm hoping to spend maybe $1000 a year.  We will see :)  I really have no idea.  If DH can get a better job, I can spend more money, lol.

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Bump! I am curious how much is common to spend for homeschooling as well. I was just recently trying to figure out how much I should budget for it each year. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:43 AM

We paid 70 and I will probably spend a little more next year.

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:35 AM
2 moms liked this

umm.. I came up with a much different figure... 

ninjaI be no money ninja. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

mamaof2n1angel
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:12 AM

i have sarted already for  next  year- over a thousand so far and that si only tution!! I am gonig to buy what is needed  over  the  next few months... 

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM

This year (6th grade) I spent about $350 on curriculum,  $ 30 on supplies, $200 on homeschool group field trips & classes,  and $1000+ on other outside classes.

Next year (7th grade) I'll spend a little less on curriculum since we're continuing with our science and history programs and about the same on supplies and all his field trips and classes

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Ok, so I started homeschooling in January, and really didn't spend a whole lot (I haven't added it up, though, so I may be surprised at how much is not "a whole lot"!  I went through my Amazon wish list for next year.  We're building our own curriculum and I've just been keeping this wish list of the things he mentions he wants to learn.  So I totalled up my list the other day, including memberships at the museum and the zoo, BrainPop, a new computer (I'm extremely cheap and so any technology I tend to have is OLD), another nook (with 5 kids, 1 nook seems like not enough, but it's a luxury), etc...  So, it totals to over $2500.  Time to prune...

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Lol I feel you! I have four kiddos and Santa brought tablets for the older two kids because one tablet was not enough.

Quoting hwblyf:

Ok, so I started homeschooling in January, and really didn't spend a whole lot (I haven't added it up, though, so I may be surprised at how much is not "a whole lot"!  I went through my Amazon wish list for next year.  We're building our own curriculum and I've just been keeping this wish list of the things he mentions he wants to learn.  So I totalled up my list the other day, including memberships at the museum and the zoo, BrainPop, a new computer (I'm extremely cheap and so any technology I tend to have is OLD), another nook (with 5 kids, 1 nook seems like not enough, but it's a luxury), etc...  So, it totals to over $2500.  Time to prune...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)