Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How much have you spent this year?

Posted by   + Show Post
Will you spend more next year?
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Replies (31-38):
coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I know what our curric cost, but I honestly couldn't tell you what I spent on extra supplies, extra curric and sure don't know what we spent on field trips.  It was definitely worth every penny spent though!!!

This year curric cost more b/c my LO is going to need 1st grade and that cost more than K.  We will see where the field trips lead us.

mom2Bellarose
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Not very much, maybe $100. I only have one child in school at the moment and plan on spending more this coming school year. For Kindergarten we used K12 and for 1st grade we will be using our own curriculum. I'm very excited and I'm still in the budgeting stage and deciding which curriculum we will use.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I have spent more than I had anticipated at this age. LO will be four in May. Since Christmas, I've spent approximately $500 specifically on education. That includes his speech package I put together and the $100 I paid to the SLP to consult, all his art supplies, his fine motor kits, manipulatives, workbooks, reading books, maps, alphabet and number banners, and so on. I am extremely frugal, but DH said he doesn't care about cost as long as we can keep the lights on and LO is learning. LOL.

I have lucked up and found some cool stuff used and cheap. I got the exact poetry book from our wish list today at Goodwill for $3.99, in brand new condition; the spine creaked when i opened it! I also got most of the McGuffey Readers set for $16, plus a couple of other little books from our list. Obviously, those things are for future use, and I am well pleased to find them inexpensively now. It is hard to reconcile my homeschool spending to the penny because most of the books I buy, I would buy anyway, and the curriculum I am building for now and the future is book based. We would have purchased the art supplies, too, plus the speech package (or, more likely, we would be spending more on a therapist if I WOH and put LO in school), and we are saving a lot of money we might have spent either way because ODS gave LO all of his childhood books. So some things are a wash.
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:26 PM
This school year was just getting started and I easily spent a thousand dollars. Next school year will be less. I already have most of his books. I still do have to buy Math U can see (primer and whatever Aiden tests into), All About Reading (pre reading and whatever Aiden tests into), and growing with grammar lvl. 2 and winning with writing. So i'm looking at about 440 bucks to still spend.
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Actually I might be spending a little more than a 1000. I still have to get their Spanish language DVD set. However I believe that this will be my last year that I have to spend so much. I am passing down curricula to my younger kids from my oldest. Even if I spent a thousand ayear it would be way less than private school and hopefully better :)

Quoting chotovec82:

This school year was just getting started and I easily spent a thousand dollars. Next school year will be less. I already have most of his books. I still do have to buy Math U can see (primer and whatever Aiden tests into), All About Reading (pre reading and whatever Aiden tests into), and growing with grammar lvl. 2 and winning with writing. So i'm looking at about 440 bucks to still spend.

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:12 AM
I budget about $100 a month. I buy things as we need them to make sure I'm not just buying to buy.
LadeeBellaDonna
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I'm building my girls a desk this year, plus I have a bunch of school supplies that I've collected over the last couple years (the schools keep getting low or running out and needing us to send more, so I thought I'd be prepared). So I know I'm gonna be spending a little more this year because of the desk and just getting their learning area prepared... but I'm also gonna save a little on school supplies because I've got some stocked up. I'm expecting about $200-$300.

BrittO2
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM

So far I've only spent $163. I still need about two books so for books alone I'm hoping to be under $200.Zoo membership is $75 and I'm sure I'll spend another $100 on supplies. Next year I will probably spend a lot more since there is a packed curriculm that I am interested in but it starts at 3rd grade. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)