Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How much have you spent this year?

Posted by   + Show Post
Will you spend more next year?
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Replies (21-30):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Lol
The best thing about homeschooling is you can have a quality curriculum for very cheap or very costly. It really depends on what you buy and also what you count. We have a zoo membership but I don't count it as a homeschooling expense because we would have one anyway.

Quoting celticdragon77:

umm.. I came up with a much different figure... 

ninjaI be no money ninja. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I honestly don't know how much ... I think it was around $1,000... This year though, I think we'll end up spending more... We're getting 3 different programs to cover the areas I attempted to make myself to save money, but it flopped horribly....and we're getting a handwriting program for both kids. Then my little guy is getting added on too... With everything I get though, I've made sure that all I have to do in the future is buy new workbooks and I'll hold onto the instruction and student books to try and save. Little Man just has to catch up to 2nd grade for those savings to kick in lol.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM

For the current school year I spent a total of around 700.00 for 3 kids.

For the upcoming school year I have already spent around 900.00 (only need a couple of more books), but that includes the Answers in Genesis Science set I bought (185.00) that will last at least 4 years.  It also includes a Biology Lab DVD (which was 130.00).  This will probably be the most expensive year since some of the stuff I will save for my daughter when she gets to those grades.

I did sell about 200.00 worht of books as we have finished them though so that did help some. 

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I included not just "curriculum materials" and supplies. I also included piano lesson, art classes, one summer theater class, sports, joining homeschool groups and co-ops, field trips, etc. 

Quoting mem82:

Lol
The best thing about homeschooling is you can have a quality curriculum for very cheap or very costly. It really depends on what you buy and also what you count. We have a zoo membership but I don't count it as a homeschooling expense because we would have one anyway.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

See a lot of that I would assume you would have them do anyway, like the sports or theater. Homeschoolers are so lucky we can have time for several classes.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I included not just "curriculum materials" and supplies. I also included piano lesson, art classes, one summer theater class, sports, joining homeschool groups and co-ops, field trips, etc. 

Quoting mem82:

Lol

Quoting celticdragon77:

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I feel like we never have had enough time prior to homeschooling. They get home about 4:20 and then there is homework. Then I make dinner, eat, clean up. They have about an hour of free time after dinner, then it's baths, reading time, and bed.

Quoting mem82:

See a lot of that I would assume you would have them do anyway, like the sports or theater. Homeschoolers are so lucky we can have time for several classes.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting mem82:

Lol

Quoting celticdragon77:

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM

We spent about $300 this year on curriculum.  We have already purchased most of the curriculum for next year with the exception of a couple of workbooks and spelling.  We spent less for our 5th grade than for fourth grade.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I don't keep track of field trip costs because we usually  just call those 'family vacations.' :)

For actual curriculum (books, workbooks, CDs, programs, classes, etc) we have spent probably around $1,000 for this school year. Maybe actually $1,500... if I really think about it. Because the co-op classes are about $400 each semester. I spent $400 on Sonlight but sold it for $200 so I only consider that $200 spent. Other workbooks, paper, pencils, materials...

This coming year, we will probably spend less. Who knows. They will still do co-op though, so that's about $800. They will still do art classes, which add up to about $400/year. 

They are all 3 doing summer camps, for a total of $950 (three kids, two different week-long camps) but I don't really calculate those in our HS budget either, because we'd do them even if the kids were in PS.

ilostmy_keys
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM
I spent 100 on random supplies for the kids and organizational materials for myself. I will only have 1 curriculum this year bc I'm not buying preK material. We will take field trips as desired. We have a dairy farm trip coming up in May - only $5 per kid for a whole day of fun - we can't wait!!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM

That sounds really fun!

Quoting ilostmy_keys:

I spent 100 on random supplies for the kids and organizational materials for myself. I will only have 1 curriculum this year bc I'm not buying preK material. We will take field trips as desired. We have a dairy farm trip coming up in May - only $5 per kid for a whole day of fun - we can't wait!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)