Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Positive Update on DH and HS!

Posted by   + Show Post

Let me first start by saying thank you to everyone for listening and giving me your opinions.  They really helped.  I talked to the therapist again yesterday  (one on one) and I bluntly asked her if homeschooling my dd was hurting her socialization since she is a Selective Mute and Social Phobic and really needs the "people" around her.  She said that we are doing exactly what needs to be done for my child!!  She said that we have to introduce her back into larger groups (school, activities, etc) slowly, very slowly are her exact words.  Last night while dd was in her room, I talked to dh.  I told him what the therapist said and he said he was really okay with homeschooling and that we are doing wonderful and that she is so bright.  He was just really concerned about her "fitting in" and how she was going to deal with people when she is out on her own and when she has to come across people that she doesn't like or understand.  I explained to him that that is one reason she is in therapy, so she can learn how to deal with these types of situations.  Her dealing with it now is she shuts down and doesn't talk.  I told him that I was going to look into some extra activities for her to do.  (we are extremely limited on money since I can not work)  He is in agreement with that.  I also explained that fitting in isn't all its cracked up to be and he did agree.  He just worries that with all her issues and then being labeled homeschooled (they aren't looked upon nicely around us, they are labeled "weird kids" here) that she will have a harder time of it.  I think I actually opened his eyes a little and he made me feel like I was doing the right thing and he is supporting of it now. 

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Replies (11-12):
lifesadream83
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Hey we are weird to and proud to be LOL... I am so glad your dh is on board with continuing the journey.  I was talking to my dh about your situation just yesterday!  I am so glad she will be able to continue on in her comfort zone!

lifesadream83
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Oh... something we decided to do this year instead of a coop was a playgroup with her close friends on fridays us moms hang out and the kids do their thing.  We usually go to a park, sometimes one with a pond to feed the animals, sometimes to the pool, baking at one of our houses... things that don't cost money.  Our barnes and nobles has a once a month book club she goes to... lots of things we do are free!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN