Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My little guy just turned 4 at the beginning of the month. He has been "reading" for almost a year now. By "reading" I mean he can sound out just about any word...when he wants to... He has flat out told me he doesn't want to read and has told me he can't read, even tho he knows he can. It is driving me insane! I've tried taking a break from it for a while and sneaking it in here and there, but he has caught on. I can sit him down and have him do it, but it then takes forever to sound out a 3 letter word he knows, and if we do simple phrases like, "the sad man" by the time he gets to the final word, he's forgotten the last two words...   His stubborness on not wanting to read is just so frustrating!! grr.... sorry...vent over lol.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Replies (11-12):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

What about instead of books, start doing games and special things.

Write some simple, but silly instructions on slips of paper...  and take turns reading what is on the paper and acting like it...

Write him notes in his sack lunches when you go on picnics, leave him notes with a dry erase marker on the mirror in the morning.

Give him magnetic letters or words on the fridge to send notes to Dad.

Get grandma, aunt, etc.. involved by having them send him a couple short, easy-to-read letters or cards.

Get him a subscription to highlights magazine, or something similar.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I might be able to be sneaky with some of these and see if he'll go for it. Thank you :)

Quoting KrissyKC:

What about instead of books, start doing games and special things.

Write some simple, but silly instructions on slips of paper...  and take turns reading what is on the paper and acting like it...

Write him notes in his sack lunches when you go on picnics, leave him notes with a dry erase marker on the mirror in the morning.

Give him magnetic letters or words on the fridge to send notes to Dad.

Get grandma, aunt, etc.. involved by having them send him a couple short, easy-to-read letters or cards.

Get him a subscription to highlights magazine, or something similar.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)