Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your child/children went to public school before you started HS...

Posted by   + Show Post

What's the first positive thing you noticed once you started homeschooling your child/children that differs or changed since you took them out of public school?  I will be starting my first year soon. 

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this

First positive?   My kids were thrilled to start school in the AM's.   Not all the time now, as they are a little older and life interefered a bit the past year or two.  But they are excited about next years plans even though it's more work than this year.

Other positives?  My kids will fight sometimes, but I also catch them holding hands, being nicer, and having more concern for us as a family.    

Another positive?   My 7 yr old daughter stopped talking about wanting to die... I think that's pretty positive (she's 11 now).

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
The first positive things I noticed since homeschooling are for me less stress. We are no longer cramming material before a test. We aren't spending hours teaching and reteaching concepts he didn't learn during the day. My son has become the sweet open child he once was. He is no longer anxious and worrisome. Academically we have been able to study things we would not have like physics and anthropology. Also I finally got my son to love reading. I found that he wanted to read when he wasn't forced to read certain things or rushed because he had to take a test on the material. Good luck!
wowguildmomma
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

less fighting in the mornings. Mine are night owls by nature and letting them operate according to thier own bodies demands has increased thier ability to focus so much. Also less meltdowns due to sensory overload.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Quoting bluerooffarm:

There have been so many changes!  The first I noticed was that he would talk to everyone again.  He orders his own food at restaurants, answers adults' questions, and jumps right in to play with kids of all ages at the playground.

I've also noticed (and reveled in) the fact that I get him first.  When he was in school I had to fight him in the morning to get him up and dressed and on the bus.  Then I got him at night when he was overly tired, overly hungry, and miserable about all the homework.  The only time I was with my cheerful, happy, and energetic son was on Saturdays.  It's so nice to get him all the time.

Specifically that first paragraph applied here, and the ordering food thing REALLY rings a bell. My oldest had become sullen and despondent. He subtly refused to join in social occasions, regardless of the age group or familiarity. He wasn't outright rude, but his behavior really concerned us for a while; my father was particularly worried about ODS. Within mere WEEKS, he came around, and joined the land of the living. We can talk about almost anything but that time of his life, right before I WD him from PS. It was really tough. You know all those little mama moments we aren't proud of and regret? That's my biggie. I should have taken him out of PS years before. I just didn't know... Were I to do it all over again, I would take him home at the end of eighth grade.

Now, he is a happy, social adult with a growing circle of friends and a real joy for life. The positive change in our family due to homeschooling is remarkable. This is why I recommend homeschooling to almost everyone.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tuffymama:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

There have been so many changes!  The first I noticed was that he would talk to everyone again.  He orders his own food at restaurants, answers adults' questions, and jumps right in to play with kids of all ages at the playground.

I've also noticed (and reveled in) the fact that I get him first.  When he was in school I had to fight him in the morning to get him up and dressed and on the bus.  Then I got him at night when he was overly tired, overly hungry, and miserable about all the homework.  The only time I was with my cheerful, happy, and energetic son was on Saturdays.  It's so nice to get him all the time.

Specifically that first paragraph applied here, and the ordering food thing REALLY rings a bell. My oldest had become sullen and despondent. He subtly refused to join in social occasions, regardless of the age group or familiarity. He wasn't outright rude, but his behavior really concerned us for a while; my father was particularly worried about ODS. Within mere WEEKS, he came around, and joined the land of the living. We can talk about almost anything but that time of his life, right before I WD him from PS. It was really tough. You know all those little mama moments we aren't proud of and regret? That's my biggie. I should have taken him out of PS years before. I just didn't know... Were I to do it all over again, I would take him home at the end of eighth grade.

Now, he is a happy, social adult with a growing circle of friends and a real joy for life. The positive change in our family due to homeschooling is remarkable. This is why I recommend homeschooling to almost everyone.

I would have never put him in PS.  He began to withdrawal immediately.  Stopped talking to the preacher, got "shy," hid behind me when we went to the doctor or out to eat.  Now that he's been home for 2 whole years, we've had some discussions about ps.  He talks about how the teachers would scream at them for talking.  How one pushed his friend against the wall because he wasn't walking on the right side of the hallway.  He just became very distrusting of adults.  I am sure it would have turned to depression by middle school.  I'm so glad we caught it early.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Less stress, my son started to enjoy school, and his academics improved because of the one-on-one. 

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Seriously, homeschooling was VERY SCARY to me before I started, so I understand completely!!  The book is "Overcome Your Fear of Homeschooling with Insider Information."  In MANY ways homeschooling ends up being different than you would expect.  There are a lot of unexpected benefits, like the reduction in stress several people have shared, better efficiency in learning which makes your school day much shorter than you'd expect, socialization is often a non-issue even though it is often people's primary concern going into homeschooling.  The book talks about the many ways homeschooling is different than what you might expect and WHY it's different, it talks about practical issues in managing homeschooling, and other things that people are afraid of before they begin.  Amazon has a free "Look Inside" option where you can look at the book's table of contents to see the topics covered.  It's written for people new to homeschooling or considering homeschooling.  FEAR NOT, Trendy2!!  It's not nearly as scary as it seems. ;-)  

Quoting trendy2:

And the name of that book...? I'm scared to death. Maybe I should read it.

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author, Individualized Instruction Design Consultant

Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I noticed that if I let my daughter sleep more she was this beautiful girl. I never felt right waking her early so one day I just let her sleep till 9 am and it changed everything. She began to blossom that day.

With my son I heard him sing. I had never heard him do this before. But one day he was just singing and he finally seemed happy. He was never happy before that. It sounds so sad but that is the truth.

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM

That was a HUGE bonus for us too.  My son was sorely depressed when we pulled him out of public school.  He was bubbly, outgoing, and talkative when he went to school in kindergarten.  By time we pulled him out for fifth grade he was sullen, wouldn't look at people, wouldn't talk to them, and would cry about why people were so mean.  He had dyslexia, was bullied, had his head bashed into the concrete to "knock some sense into him", called moron, and treated in a demeaning manner by one of his teachers.  A couple of the other teachers were condescending. It was AWFUL.  My only wish was that we had started homeschooling SOONER!!  It took a few years for my son to recover his spirit.

Quoting usmom3:

My son was no longer depressed!

SandyKC

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM

It WILL be the right decision!! I've been there and done that in fighting with the PS system.  Having a child with ADHD, you will find your child will learn better at home, and you can tailor your instructional day to meet your child's needs.  All of that extra energy? .. Mini trampoline to jump while working with flash cards, a huge exercise ball to sit and bounce on while working on papers, walking on the treadmill when reading, etc.. they are all great ways to incorporate movement into learning when your child "can't" sit still for school work.  When we began homeschooling, my DS would flip all over the arms of the chair, twirl on the ground, do summersaults, etc. while I read aloud to him.  My mom didn't see how I could stand all the movement, but as long as my son could answer my questions I didn't care and the movement was GOOD for his learning!!  He's much calmer now, but we found MANY benefits in homeschooling.. and it sure was a LOT EASIER than battling with the school!!

Quoting Pinkphotography:

My children are currently in ps but more than likely I'm pulling them out:) I hope and pray this will be the best decision cause right now I'm actually miserable fighting with the ps system isn't fun when you have a child with ADHD. Morning are tough . Even after school both are miserable they just wanna hang out and play but they have homework , then baseball right after then they come home eat take a shower n bed . 

SandyKC

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)