Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your child/children went to public school before you started HS...

Posted by   + Show Post

What's the first positive thing you noticed once you started homeschooling your child/children that differs or changed since you took them out of public school?  I will be starting my first year soon. 

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Replies (21-30):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM

My son has Autism & it really damaged him being in the public school. I too wish that I had homeschooled sooner (like from the beginning), he is almost 20 & he still struggles because his love for learning was destroyed right along with his self  esteem.

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

That was a HUGE bonus for us too.  My son was sorely depressed when we pulled him out of public school.  He was bubbly, outgoing, and talkative when he went to school in kindergarten.  By time we pulled him out for fifth grade he was sullen, wouldn't look at people, wouldn't talk to them, and would cry about why people were so mean.  He had dyslexia, was bullied, had his head bashed into the concrete to "knock some sense into him", called moron, and treated in a demeaning manner by one of his teachers.  A couple of the other teachers were condescending. It was AWFUL.  My only wish was that we had started homeschooling SOONER!!  It took a few years for my son to recover his spirit.

Quoting usmom3:

My son was no longer depressed!

sdgd21
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:10 PM

1 hated me, one thanked me, the other thought I had issues. lol

Here is a tip, get part of a HS group it helps sp much!

trendy2
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:22 PM

How do I go about finding groups?  I will be traveling in or about July with my husband to VA.  Our location/state will change every six months to a year.  

Quoting sdgd21:

sdgd21
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Here and in Texas the yahoo groups are the best way. We have a lady in our group that lives in Canada and so she is only part of the group when she is in town.  You can make it work ;-)

Quoting trendy2:

How do I go about finding groups?  I will be traveling in or about July with my husband to VA.  Our location/state will change every six months to a year.  

Quoting sdgd21:

trendy2
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I submitted to join the yahoo group but I have still not heard anything back... :(

Quoting sdgd21:

Here and in Texas the yahoo groups are the best way. We have a lady in our group that lives in Canada and so she is only part of the group when she is in town.  You can make it work ;-)

Quoting trendy2:

Quoting sdgd21:

tnt-manda
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest went to ps for K and 1st grade. He was a struggling reader and was beginning to be very moody, bossy, frustrated etc...His mood was the first thing that I noticed improvement in his reading came next. I just hate that he does'nt just have that real love for reading, I think he was pushed too much in the beginning. My second ds has never been in public school, I was really terrified in teaching him how to read, but he has way passed my expectations. The hardest thing for us was structure, the oldest transitioning to hs and understanding just because you are at home does'nt mean you don't have school. It is so less stressful, I have so much more pleasent one on one time with them, I love watching them learn and know what they are learning, the only regret I have is not doing it sooner.

Just remember it will take time to find your groove, make adjustments, don't sweat the small stuff and their is always tommorow. Good luck!
sdgd21
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I had that too with a group, some 3 to 4 weeks latter I get a response lol. But by then I had 4 others. lol Are there more? Also remember often these groups are ran by 1 to 2 people, it may just take time. 

Quoting trendy2:

I submitted to join the yahoo group but I have still not heard anything back... :(

Quoting sdgd21:

Quoting trendy2:

Quoting sdgd21:

lifesadream83
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM

She likes books now!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I love reading these replies, thanks for asking the question!

I am hoping to start hsing in the fall. I am petrified, and anxious and excited. I know I will be the best teacher for them but it will be a big change. I am hoping not to work but I think I will have to, so that will be interesting...I hope it's the right decision and I hope it all works out so we can do it.
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My youngest is healthier and her separation anxiety is almost non-existent now.  My middle child is not nearly as stressed out every day.  My oldest is happy again.  That's just for starters

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)