Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

connections academy eta: wyoming

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have posted before about homeschooling. That the super of the school broad said i couldn't home school. The for the reasons i wanted to home school my son. 

Well i found connextions academy which looks good. but i havent really talk to anyone else about it yet. like how are sey to deal with?? how did the your chiled do study from them? so i would like your moms in put on this.

I know my schooling is not the best even help  my son with home schooling so i cant really just order the stuff and teach him myself. I know that. So i like that they have a teacher that is willing to help them thou the work. so if he gets stuck he has a teacher help. 

if  you would like to know why i want to home school my child i can type it out but i have posted about it many times before. but i got to do something either more out of town which $$ is not htere or home school.. 

we live in wyoming northing part of wyoming..

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
shyanntech
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

BUMP!

shyanntech
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

BUMP!

Simply_Janeen
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Okay, we need a little more information here. What state are you in? You need to look at the homeschool laws of the STATE, the local school board cannot do anything, it's all a matter of the state and the department of public instruction within your state.

That said, since you are looking at homeschooling due to issues at school, Connections is one option. I did Connections with my daughter this year. Now, it didn't work for us because it was a lot of work for her when she had never been in school before but for someone who has been in school, it might be the thing especially if you're homeschooling because of issues at school. You will be the child's learning coach but there is a teacher that you will be connecting with throughout the year. I think it's a pretty good program for the most part, it just wasn't a good fit for us.

They send you almost everything you need. There are some materials they expect you to get but you get quite a bit of stuff too. If you are in need of a computer, they might provide that (it depends on the state, I think). You get the textbooks and teacher guides. There are classes done online but most of it is done by you but again, you get everything you need in order to do the teaching.

Definitely may be an option for you to look into just keep in mind that it all depends on the state and the individual school itself. So it may work out well for you or it may not. You just never know.

Good luck and I hope you get it all figured out!

Janeen

Homeschooling mom to my two girls: Natalie (6) and Isabelle (2).

sdgd21
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:16 PM

We did it... We are just not virtual school people, I have 4, at the time 3 where in school, we schooled  NINE hours a day. I cried daily. The kids could not understand why they always had so much work. 

On the other side, it help me with structure. But I wanted a well rounded learning experience, not more work. So for us no. but I know other parents that love it. You have to decide why your homeschooling and see if this fits you and your family.

sdgd21
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:19 PM

very true, you get so much stuff, lol I still have things left over, it was 3 years ago! lol

ANd she is right about the law. The only law we have here is to register our kids as HS kids with state at the age of 7 and we get what they are required to know. So for me, I had SO many options. 

Quoting Simply_Janeen:

Okay, we need a little more information here. What state are you in? You need to look at the homeschool laws of the STATE, the local school board cannot do anything, it's all a matter of the state and the department of public instruction within your state.

That said, since you are looking at homeschooling due to issues at school, Connections is one option. I did Connections with my daughter this year. Now, it didn't work for us because it was a lot of work for her when she had never been in school before but for someone who has been in school, it might be the thing especially if you're homeschooling because of issues at school. You will be the child's learning coach but there is a teacher that you will be connecting with throughout the year. I think it's a pretty good program for the most part, it just wasn't a good fit for us.

They send you almost everything you need. There are some materials they expect you to get but you get quite a bit of stuff too. If you are in need of a computer, they might provide that (it depends on the state, I think). You get the textbooks and teacher guides. There are classes done online but most of it is done by you but again, you get everything you need in order to do the teaching.

Definitely may be an option for you to look into just keep in mind that it all depends on the state and the individual school itself. So it may work out well for you or it may not. You just never know.

Good luck and I hope you get it all figured out!

MessedUpMama
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:57 AM

We are doing Connections this year. I'm working with a third grader and one in kindergarten. We don't do every single little thing, we read everything, talk about all of it, and do the portfolio assignments. Sometimes one of the other things sounds interesting, so we do it, but I think that if they are learning and are able to pass their tests then it's good enough.

You get all the books, most of the supplies and a guide to help you teach each lesson. I like having a teacher we can call or email with questions, if we need to. Otherwise we talk to her about twice a month to check in. Both kids like it, we get finished with our work fairly quickly most days, so they have time to do other things if they want or get ahead some in their lessons so they can take an extra day off here and there.  I like it because we can work any days or hours we want, so we start late in the after noon, because my DH leaves for work at 1PM and isn't home until after midnight. Our schedule allows DS and DH to have time together. I'm also the Learning Coach for the little girl I babysit, she's the kindergartner. Her Mom is on the same schedule as DH. She's a single Mom, and this allows her to have more time with her child than regular school would.

I'm not confident in my own ability to teach without the help from the guide books and teachers. However, I feel more confident after this year than I did before we started. We will be doing it again next year, and then maybe we will all feel confident enough that I'll do the traditional home school thing the year after that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN