Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm thinking of homeschooling

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi, i'm new to the group. I have a 6 year old and a 6 mo old daughters. My ODD goes to ps and I hate it. She's not interested in learning or at least not in what they do there. She's always tired and I have no time with her. I'm thinking to start hs next year. This year it would have been too tough with the baby as well.

Unfortunately I cannot afford to be SAHM but I'll have to open a small home dycare. Is it possible to do that and still hs plus the baby/toddler?

I must mention it again, I really hate what the ps is doing to her.

--
'I made an agreement of peaceful coexistence with time; neither it pursues me, nor I run from it; one day we will find each other.' (Mario Lago)
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM
2 moms liked this
I think if you put your heart in it nothing is impossible. Sit down and write the pros and cons, find out your state law on hs and then work on your time management.
coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM
3 moms liked this

You can even work and HS.  She may be distracted with all that goes on with a daycare setting, but it certainly is possible.   There are moms here that work FT and HS.  It can be done.  I work from home and HS a 1st grader and a Kindergartener.  We just fit it in our day.  You will have to work out a schedule and then tweak it until it finally works for you.

mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Check this link if you have time http://www.homeschoolfacts.com/index.php
Momto8kidsyay
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Yes you def can do it. You'll need a plan and a (flexible) schedule, but yes!
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I homeschool and work full time. I think knowing that school doesn't start or stop on a certain day or at a certain time helps. You can do it!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:31 PM

It's completely possible!

Analugojana
by New Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Woohoo! I thought I was insane but this year has been awful. I can't wait for the school to be over. I am in Canada and I checked the law. As long as you write a letter of intention to the District board you're fine.

--
'I made an agreement of peaceful coexistence with time; neither it pursues me, nor I run from it; one day we will find each other.' (Mario Lago)
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I'm sorry she has had such a bad experience and it's been tough on you, too. HSing is possible in almost every household, I think. There are a couple of women who work FT hours and still homeschool their kids in my local group. I don't think I would never be able to make it work, but they do, and their kids are happy.
sdgd21
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, and yes I have 4 and one on the way :-) I plan very well, prep the night before. but it works :-)

Quoting mommy4lyf:

I think if you put your heart in it nothing is impossible. Sit down and write the pros and cons, find out your state law on hs and then work on your time management.

lifesadream83
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM

If you run your daycare really well you will do fine.  We are planning to do summer camps out of our place after we get back to MD (we are moving twice in the next 7 months for the military). 

My oldest is 8 my youngest is 4 months.  I keep the LO in the Boba most of the day as she loves to be held.  We all go running as a family on Mon. Wed. and Fri mornings.  Those days we start school around 11am when LO is down for a 2 hour nap. This is the perfect time for me to give dd8 the attention she needs for LA and Math.  We do a read aloud before bed or in the evening as my hubby often enjoys listening in.  After lunch we do science and History.  She does her reading when I do laundry or the dishes.  On Tuesdays we start around 9am and we always start with math.  For some reason that is what gets her into school.  For us videos, crafts and science projects are always saved until last because they take the most time.  

So.. depending on how you operate you could start with educational videos The Magic School Bus is great for that age or wild krats in the am while kids are being dropped off and you are dealing with breakfast.  Then you can plan crafts around your history or science lessons that all the kids can do after breakfast. During morning nap you can do math. Then Lunch.  Some outdoor time checking out nature and physics (how things work) exercise etc.  During afternoon nap knock out a LA lesson something quick like First Language Lessons is perfect for that age.  Some Phonics... snack time,,, maybe do some music and movement.  Then kick them all out or send them home so you can have some family time !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)