Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Early childhood education

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM
  • 12 Replies

What age did you start more formal education with your child? Did you do "preschool"? If so, did you use a curriculum? What curriculum did you use?

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM
3 moms liked this

I basically teach my kids from the time they.... well... are born!  LOL.  No curriculum until they are ready.  With my middle that was 5, with my youngest he was asking to "do school" before he turned 4.  We have been using Hooked on Phonics Kindergarten for letter recognition and sounds.  When the others start their next year in July we'll be doing Math U See Primer, he'll still be 4.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a ton of preK workbooks, games, activities, etc...  I usually do a letter a week until they are VERY familiar with the letters and able to form them pretty good.   Each time I go through the alphabet, I add more depth to the "lessons"...

They are very eager, and I've never had to push any of them to work with me (so far!)  I don't think I would "expect" certain things from them at that age, just learn through life, play, projects, etc..

Once they are writing their letters well, know the letter sounds and even some more simple phonics stuff, we start putting words together, and when they are ready, I have a 1st grade phonics program we just jump right into.   I don't do much official KG or PK work with them.

When they are about 2nd grade, we add a good math curriculum.

third grade we add a good grammar/english curriculum.

Social studies and science up til now is more unschooled and there to help support building their reading and writing strengths more than anything as well as get them excited about learning.

Art/music/PE etc... are all done through extra curricular groups or play.

Sometime around 4th - 5th, I might consider adding a curriculum for science or social studies, but only because I'm a little disorganized and having a curriculum and plan in front of me helps me piece it out little by little without either overwhelming or underwhelming.

coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

We didn't start with a curriculum per se until my DD was 3 1/2 and needed more than what we were working with.  She is now almost 5 and about 1/2 way through the K curric.  You can do so many things without getting a curriculum.

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

When one home schools, the whole world is their classroom.  Formal education is introduced gradually, depending on the child's learning style.  This is particular true with Hands On Learners, and active children. 

How To Home School The Pre-K Student

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM

My little guy was 3 when we started using All About Reading Pre Level and Level 1, and Math U See Primer, but he was absolutely ready for them and was asking for them since he wanted school work like his big sister. Otherwise we would have stuck with Leap Frog movies, PBS shows, color by numbers, and connect the dots, and a letter sound hide and seek game we made up. I say the sound and he finds the letter (they're all hidden around the living room). Or I say the letter, and he finds something around the house that has that sound.

katinahat
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM

My daughter is 18 months old and while we have been informally educating her since she was born, "preschool" will start when she's about 2 1/2 or 3-- it's flexible because it'll be when she's ready for the material. Kindergarten will most likely be started when she is 4.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM
WWW.havefunteaching.com
Demand.com password:BOB
We do a letter s week. We find things to color read foreveryday of the week. We read a book that start with that letter. We do numbers that way as well a color and a shape. We learn to spell our name write our name spell it. We paint make shapes. Find color around the house store or where ever go. Science we have nature walks field trips a farms talking the sky human body health and social studies holidays.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Certain things were picked up naturally by my middle son - letters, colors, shapes, etc. I thank Leapfrog and Team Umizoomi for that, lol!

We have some workbooks that he does randomly now, at age 3. We will start a formal curriculum this fall (at age 4). We plan to use Memoria Press Junior K minus the math, Miquon with manipulatives for math, Seton's preschool religion book, Making Music Praying Twice, and either All About Reading or Logic of English Foundations for phonics.

We are more traditionally scholastic in our approach, so we start formal education a bit earlier than some others. With my eldest, we didn't begin homeschooling until grade 4, so she had been in brick and mortar school since Pre K.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Next year my 3 and 4 year old children will be doing letter of the week.  They both want to do school so I have been printing off worksheets that they pretty much scribble on. 

Without formally teaching them

My ds4 can say his alphabet, knows about 15 letter sounds, can count to 20 (but misses 15), knows the days of the week, recognizes most numbers to 10 on sight and knows all his shapes and colors and describe the weather, writes his own name and recognizes it, and his 2 older sisters names.

My dd3 (just turned a week ago) Knows her colors and shapes, can count to 5, she can tell me what the next day of the week is, describe the weather,and  knows what A says. 

CaitsCookies
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM

My LO is not quite 21mo.  We do reading readiness while doing potty time.  She is already recognizing that letters go with the words that go with the pictures.  She's also starting to learn counting forward to 5 and backward from 3 (my countdown for getting kids' attention).  What they hear daily, they learn readily.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)