Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Home Schoolers Stripped of Rights...

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

http://spreadlibertynews.com/americans-warned-home-schoolers-stripped-of-rights/

Has anyone read this?  My sister sent it to me.  

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Seems full of propaganda, actually.   I'd like to know the context in which the att. gen said that homeschooling is not the parents right, because quite frankly, we don't have that as a "right."  

Specifically, we have a right to an education (our kids do, too) and we have a right to religious freedom.   So, no, it's not spelled out that we have a specific "right" to homeschool.     The federal government has left decisions of this nature up to each state, and each state has their own laws designed to protect our decisions to homeschool, and to protect our children's rights to an education.

So, again, I'm not sure what context his comment is taken from, so I'm not going to jump to conclusions about it.

Also, regarding the family from Germany... I hope they get to stay here and continue to educate their children.   On one hand, I feel it's a stretch to say, "See, look what this German family is going through!  It can happen to you!"   I think it's in some ways, comparing apples to oranges.     At the same time, as a Christian, I know that there are other "principalities" in this world that work these things for their own agenda.

So, what do I think about this article?   I think it is actually pretty poorly written.   I think that there is not enough support for the stir of "concern" the author is trying to bring about.  They should really do some more research and work a little more on getting their point of view across.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM
I know about all the things this article is talking about. I've been keeping up with the families in this article. While some may not be concerned I can post the link that talks about the court saying homeschooling isn't a parental right. I firmly believe that all of these cases will have an effect on homeschooling in America.
trendy2
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:32 PM
I am just beginning my journey to start HS in the next few months. This article is a little worrisome to me considering I'm getting ready to remove both of my kids from the charter school here. Which will cause them to lose their spots.
celticdragon77
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM

This is about a case where someone is seeking asylum to the USA.

This is NOT about whether Americans have the right to homeschool.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Here is a good article to read about this matter: 

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2013/04/why-hslda-is-wrong-about-romeike-v-holder.html

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:24 PM
This is true. The thing that's bothersome is what our government is saying about homeschooling throughout this case.

Quoting celticdragon77:

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Well, to be honest, I have yet to find a direct source of these hearsay quotes. If anyone has a link or video of it, that would be great. 

I can only go by the case information and laws. The link I posted has some good information in it and makes excellent points. 

The family went to a immigration court and were initially approved to stay here. But then a higher level of the immigration process appealed the decision. This is because the family was not being persecuted and seeking asylum within the realms of our law.

The article asks - what would happen if we allowed everyone to come here because they didn't like the laws in their own country. There had to be a bar set. 

Whether someone likes it or not, homeschooling rights are not legally covered as a reason to seek asylum to the USA. And I agree with the article that there are people turned away from seeking asylum here with more dire situations than this. 

This family DOES have the choice to set up residency in the many other EU countries. They do not HAVE to return to Germany.

Quoting somuchlove4U:

This is true. The thing that's bothersome is what our government is saying about homeschooling throughout this case.

Quoting celticdragon77:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! or, wait....Aliens have landed, Invasion is immenent! 

I absolutely hate, hate HATE articles like this! Guess what, Homeschooling - whether you believe it should be a right or not, is NO Reason to Break Laws. Fight to change laws, move, whatever. When the AG said the comment, it was in regards to the US giving political asylum to a couple of families who broke the laws in other countries. No laws like eating, breathing, free speech, etc. But HS. 

Should his remarks be taken as an attack on American rights? No, he intended it to reflect on America not rescuing every criminal the world over.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't worry about it. I've been HS'ing for over a decade. In that time, a certain small faction of political HS'ers issue these kind of scare-fest statements periodically. Until an actual law maker makes such a statement in front of the House or Senete -- which will likely never happen as HS laws are primarily made in each state. So, my advice? Join your local HS groups, that way yu can be on top of any changing legislation in your area.

Quoting trendy2:

I am just beginning my journey to start HS in the next few months. This article is a little worrisome to me considering I'm getting ready to remove both of my kids from the charter school here. Which will cause them to lose their spots.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM
There are articles about this on ABC, fox, washington times, times and of course hslda. Pick your source.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Well, to be honest, I have yet to find a direct source of these hearsay quotes. If anyone has a link or video of it, that would be great. 

I can only go by the case information and laws. The link I posted has some good information in it and makes excellent points. 

The family went to a immigration court and were initially approved to stay here. But then a higher level of the immigration process appealed the decision. This is because the family was not being persecuted and seeking asylum within the realms of our law.

The article asks - what would happen if we allowed everyone to come here because they didn't like the laws in their own country. There had to be a bar set. 

Whether someone likes it or not, homeschooling rights are not legally covered as a reason to seek asylum to the USA. And I agree with the article that there are people turned away from seeking asylum here with more dire situations than this. 

This family DOES have the choice to set up residency in the many other EU countries. They do not HAVE to return to Germany.

Quoting somuchlove4U:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)