Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

teaching a 3and a half year old....

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM
  • 9 Replies
To read.... she is ready now... I think she knows her letters and most sounds. I got a book fromthe library called teach your child to read in just 10 minsa day... its ten min time frames that equal an hour. Anyone tried this? Also looking into teach your child to read in100 easy lessons. Anyone tried that book??
Im kinda lost lol. Working on phonics is that the best way or should I be doing sight words I think they are called.
Thanks jen
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gratefulgal
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I've tried the teach in 10 easy lessons- seems to work for some, but we ended up sitching it for something else. I am a firm believer in phonics and never taught sight words. You'll find opinions going both ways on here, but phonics is provem to work, andmuch less work in the long run than just memorizing everything. Good luck!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I wouldn't force it. At 3 is really young. At that age, the very best thing you can do is read to her. Hold her hand under each word as you read it. Make labels on everything in your house so she begins to associate the written words with the words she uses everyday. 

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this

There has been extensive research on this.  It was found that when children who were taught phonics read, their brain lights (meaning the get it).  The same scans show that. when  children who were not taught phonics read, their brain does not light up meaning the logical connections are not there.  So Phonics is the way to go.

However  it is also important for children to read while they are learning their phonics.  Once they can sound out their first eight sounds (s,a,m,r,n,t,,o,d), they should be able to read their first early reader books (public school early readers, Bob Books or Ring Around The Phonics books).  After learning their next 6 letters, they read their second early reader....so on, and so on.  This is important so that the child makes the connection between reading and phonics. 

Three is very young, but a few are ready at that age.  So if she is one of these children, go on with your plans.  But a word of caution:  For those children  who are not ready, pushing turns them off to education very early on, and that damages their progress on down the road.     Better late than early is a catch faze meaning adjust to the child., rather than forcing.

How And What To Teach The PreK Student will help you to know what your child needs to know as a Pre-K student, and how to teach her.   If she know all of these things, and is anxious to read, proceed with the reading lessons.  However be willing to stop, if her interest recedes. 

P.S. 16% of the words are not phonetically dcodable.  So once she masters phonetic reading, you can begin teaching those words. 

usmom3
by BJ on May. 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I agree with this!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I wouldn't force it. At 3 is really young. At that age, the very best thing you can do is read to her. Hold her hand under each word as you read it. Make labels on everything in your house so she begins to associate the written words with the words she uses everyday. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Good luck! Spend lots of time reading to her and pointing out signs.
1Redapple
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Ya already have very good answered to your post!

I was thinking about sight reading and the episode of I Love Lucy.  Ricky is going to read a story to little Ricky.  He comes across the words Through, threw and throw.  Something like that.  Have fun with your little reader!

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
WWW.havefunteaching.com
Then I label everything around the house like chair label chair books label books and so on.
Damand.com password BOB
We go o the library and find books with her and start reading with her and the book starts with that letter we talk about a letter a week. We watch movies like Leapfrog. Educational movies.we try to read every sign everywhere.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Instead of teaching "to read" right now, you can teach rhyming, aliteration (words with the same beginning sounds), finger stretch words (show a picture of say a dog, then stretch out the word into its sounds D-O-G), and read to her!  These activities prepare your child to read and make connections and it is very important that these things are learned first.  If she does very well with those kinds of activities, then by all means start reading.

Phonics is very important, sight words should be taught along side of the phonics, IMO.  When taught along side the phonics, you only need to teach the sight words that do not follow the rules.... "come" should sound more like "comb" so kids have trouble with the word because it doesn't follow the rule that silent "e" makes a vowel say its name, etc.

oahoah
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM

My boys have learned to read (except for youngest who is 3 1/2 now) by just having us read to them and working on their letter sounds.  Oldest who is now 8 1/2 didn't learn to read until he was 6 and he was in a private kindergarten program but 2nd DS learned to read mostly on his own just around 4.  I guess it depends on how much time/money you feel like investing into it but we decided to just be casual about it. All the boys love storytime and reading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN