Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you ever.....

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM
  • 29 Replies

Would you ever live in a commune?

I think back to my parents generation - in the 60's - with all the communes and wonder if that would work well today. Plus I'm a huge JD Robb books fan, and I love that in her future-istic crime novels one of the main characters is a free ager (aka furture-istic hippie). So I wonder, could we move back toward that type of community living?

What do you all think?  

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM
2 moms liked this

OK, Here's my honest answer. Yes and No. (lol) See, I love the concept - everything being in a tight community, more natural living, off of the grid, doing more 'being one with nature', etc.

No, because nature kinda freaks me out. lol. I'm an urbanite. Plus, I'm pretty sure you have to like other people to like in such close proximity. I like living in an urban environment where I know nothing a bout the neighbors and they know nothing about me. 

Man, it's like I have a split personality. I guess the moral of the story is that whether I'm living in an urban or commune environment, I'd always dream of the grass on the other side? 

tennisgal
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I think I'm too Type-A and victorian to do that, lol. 

Although my DH would disagree between my weird homeschooling ideals, baby wearing and natural remedies, lol. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only contradiction!

Quoting tennisgal:

I think I'm too Type-A and victorian to do that, lol. 

Although my DH would disagree between my weird homeschooling ideals, baby wearing and natural remedies, lol. 

tennisgal
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Have you ever heard of New Harmony, Indiana. Okay, well this is where I live. It began as a communal settlement in the 1800s. The Communal houses were huge (okay, huge for wood cabins, but two stories, very, very long) so it was literally living with your community, not just your community working together very closely. I find it hard to imagine doing that. Well, and it obviously didn't work...so, there's my random-ness for the night. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

OK, Here's my honest answer. Yes and No. (lol) See, I love the concept - everything being in a tight community, more natural living, off of the grid, doing more 'being one with nature', etc.

No, because nature kinda freaks me out. lol. I'm an urbanite. Plus, I'm pretty sure you have to like other people to like in such close proximity. I like living in an urban environment where I know nothing a bout the neighbors and they know nothing about me. 

Man, it's like I have a split personality. I guess the moral of the story is that whether I'm living in an urban or commune environment, I'd always dream of the grass on the other side? 

usmom3
by BJ on May. 1, 2013 at 12:41 AM
I like the idea of it but I love my privacy way to much to live some place like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:45 AM
I know I couldn't do it. I love my privacy way to much.
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Another who loves privacy too much to join a commune.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Maybe...

But then, I haven't seen one that was successful long term.   We were renting off of an "intentional Christian community."   No, we weren't part of their commune, but they made some money for their commune by renting some local homes (and other businesses)...

It started out good.  They seemed like a great group to rent off of.   However, some one got greedy and fraud claims were made and people left and changed around.   The new person actually LIED to a reference for us and then claimed that their computers were down and so it wasn't their fault they lied.   I'm just glad we moved when we did because it just didn't look like it was going in a good direction.

celticdragon77
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:27 AM

The concept creeps me out a bit. It doesn't seem "free" at all. It's just a micro version of real life. Just on a more selective level. Everyone has to contribute to life whether in a commune or not. You can always find like minded people (but why limit ones self to that). You can free trade without the need of a commune. People can choose to help others and be respectful within their current communities. 

Id be tempted tho. I grew up in foster care and would be a sucker for family like atmosphere. If i knew and liked them, they had a common lifestyle and interests, could teach me new skills, didnt issolate me from the world... Plus, if they let me raise chickens, and live out in nature... Id struggle to say no to the kool aid. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 1, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Lol, I'm there with ya! I like the concept from JD Robb's In Dea series, where the 'Free Agers' are really just Eco-conscious, philosophical, homeschoolers. Not religious fanatics or isolationists. But like, the 'it takes a village' concept. But again, I think it's something that sounds way cooler on paper than in real life. But - that part of me that likes the idea of the family like atmosphere is probably that scarredart from my messed up childhood - which, incidentally, left me distrustful of people....the old catch 22.. Lol

Quoting celticdragon77:

Id be tempted tho. I grew up in foster care and would be a sucker for family like atmosphere. If i knew and liked them, they had a common lifestyle and interests, could teach me new skills, didnt issolate me from the world... Plus, if they let me raise chickens, and live out in nature... Id struggle to say no to the kool aid. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)