Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you ever live in a commune?

I think back to my parents generation - in the 60's - with all the communes and wonder if that would work well today. Plus I'm a huge JD Robb books fan, and I love that in her future-istic crime novels one of the main characters is a free ager (aka furture-istic hippie). So I wonder, could we move back toward that type of community living?

What do you all think?  

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Love JD Robb too!

But no, the commune life holds NO appeal to me. None.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

SusanTheWriter
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I'm a couple of books behind in that series. :)

But no. No communes for me. I'm another one of those conflicted "ooh, live out in the country/no! I like my access to culture" people.

jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM
No, I would absolutely not. I live next door to my in-laws and that is enough for me. They are super nice people. I love my freedom to be by myself at home. I am very social but I enjoy going to where the people are. I am not a fan of people living where I am. I love my homeschooling community and being able to meet up with them every couple of days. I realize I do need my alone time. I just moved my sons into two separate rooms. When they were little they wanted to sleep together. Now as they have grown older they are enjoying their quiet time alone as well. I have to say I really enjoy the country life with all my animals and not having neighbors. If one of my animals annoys me I can find them a new home. I can't really do that with neighbors that annoy me.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I could if there were alot of people similar to me and my husband.  We have old fashion values when it comes to marriage and kids. 

We dont believe in cheating. 

We have very strict rules about ourselves and alcohol and the children (most of our friends and family do not understand). 

We raise our children to say yes sir and yes ma'am. 

They are to be polite and respectful.  We also expect our children to listen and do as they are told, while there is room for discussion it needs to be after they have done as they were told and respectful.

We love the outdoors, but we also love electricity, so that might be a problem.

I love having people near by and it would be like a small town, so I could do that. 

But because of my past I would have to know every single person in the commune to an extreme and know that they would never ever hurt a child or anyone else.

Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I sort of did live in one. I grew up in a gypsy caravan. The whole community worked together to keep everyone going. I loved the people but the customs were not ok with me. I walked away from my people when I was 19 to start a family with better values. I miss it every day but I know I did what is best for my kids especially.

katinahat
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

No.

I would live in a tight-knit community where I have my own house that people have to request to enter-- like a neighborhood or town where everyone knows each other. But I would not live in close quarters with people outside of my family. It's just not something that I'm comfortable with.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM

It would not work for my family at all. I like my privacy a little too much, and I'd also be terrified that someone else would set off one of my hubby's triggers and he'd go full fledge PTSD.  We live in a close-ish nit community, and that is more than great, grand, and wonderful for us lol.  There are 5 Home Owner Association board members, and we defaulted into it simply because no one else showed up for the meeting when the builders handed the community over to the home owners lol. Getting our community together has never seemed to work, but we all generally know each other.  That is as "close" as I really want to get with my neighbors.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Noooooooooo lol
Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My heart loves the idea, but my head is very wary.

celticdragon77
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Do communes all live together?

I was picturing everyone having their own dwellings. However, everyone played a part in sustaining the small community.

So maybe some have livestock, some have crops, some are handymen, some operated a business of some sort to create revenue of some sort, some did crafts / made clothes - etc, some made furniture, some taught the kids... 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN