Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you ever live in a commune?

I think back to my parents generation - in the 60's - with all the communes and wonder if that would work well today. Plus I'm a huge JD Robb books fan, and I love that in her future-istic crime novels one of the main characters is a free ager (aka furture-istic hippie). So I wonder, could we move back toward that type of community living?

What do you all think?  

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Replies (21-29):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Quoting celticdragon77:

Do communes all live together?

I was picturing everyone having their own dwellings. However, everyone played a part in sustaining the small community.

So maybe some have livestock, some have crops, some are handymen, some operated a business of some sort to create revenue of some sort, some did crafts / made clothes - etc, some made furniture, some taught the kids... 

Yes! That was how I was picturing as well....heck even the Manson Family had individual dwellings. I had no idea so many people viewed communes as multiple families in one dwelling.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

O wow..I didn't even think of people all living together!! If that were the case, we'd have a bunch of issues with hubby's PTSD lol. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting celticdragon77:

I was picturing everyone having their own dwellings. However, everyone played a part in sustaining the small community.

So maybe some have livestock, some have crops, some are handymen, some operated a business of some sort to create revenue of some sort, some did crafts / made clothes - etc, some made furniture, some taught the kids... 

Yes! That was how I was picturing as well....heck even the Manson Family had individual dwellings. I had no idea so many people viewed communes as multiple families in one dwelling.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 1, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Lol, I can't see Anyone being cool with that. So I was surprised when so many moms replied that there wouldn't be enough privacy, or they needed somewhere where people couldn't have free use of their home any time. Smh 

live never heard of a commune where they all lived in one dwelling. I think that would be more along the lines of bingo my than communes.

Quoting No_Difference:

O wow..I didn't even think of people all living together!! If that were the case, we'd have a bunch of issues with hubby's PTSD lol. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting celticdragon77:

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I just got a mental image of a bunch of elderly and small children playing bingo to see who had what chores around the community for the night. BINGO! FINALLY I don't have to clean up those darn animals! lol *turns to kid next to him/her* Sorry kid...here's a shovel, clothes pin and glove...you're going to need it ;)>
...sorry...My imagination runs wild in the morning :]

Quoting KickButtMama:

Lol, I can't see Anyone being cool with that. So I was surprised when so many moms replied that there wouldn't be enough privacy, or they needed somewhere where people couldn't have free use of their home any time. Smh 

live never heard of a commune where they all lived in one dwelling. I think that would be more along the lines of bingo my than communes.

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting celticdragon77:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 2, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Lol, that's what I do now and just label it as 'building character' lol

Quoting No_Difference:

I just got a mental image of a bunch of elderly and small children playing bingo to see who had what chores around the community for the night. BINGO! FINALLY I don't have to clean up those darn animals! lol *turns to kid next to him/her* Sorry kid...here's a shovel, clothes pin and glove...you're going to need it ;)>

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting celticdragon77:

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I do too :) Just without the Bingo lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

Lol, that's what I do now and just label it as 'building character' lol

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting celticdragon77:

oredeb
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:35 AM

i lived communal with 5 other families, there were about 25 of us, that was in the 80s when the kids were younger,

almondpigeon
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Since I romanticize everything in my head, my 1st instinct is to say yes. I picture myself in a flowy skirt making bread and planting vegetables and cooking dinner with other women and it seems so perfect.
The reality would be so different & I think I would hate it!
Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Possibly. I think my commune would be different than most. Lol! Lots of land, privacy, etc but everyone working together. I think it would be hard to make sure everyone pulls their weight and contributes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN