Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Has anyone used McRuffy? Specifically second grade, or any other suggestions for language arts/reading/spelling?

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 7 Replies

I'm looking for language arts/reading/phonics/spelling  for my second grader. I like how everything is combined. I really want spelling words to be part of the phonics lessons for the week, and fun readers. I already got my kindergarteners McRuffy and it looks good other than it doesn't include sight words, and the spelling words are words from the books that aren't neccesary for words a kindergartner would be learning to spell, if any at that age. I'm worried if I get it for my second grader the spelling words won't be typical of what a second grader should know and I'll need to add something like All About Spelling. If I didn't go with McRuffy I have no idea what we'd do for reading/phonics since the readers for all of the other programs don't look like what he'd want to read, and spelling wouldn't go with phonics lessons. Any advice or other program suggestions?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Never used it here but here is a BUMP for you!

MonkeyPeanut79
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I haven't used it but I bought it for second grade next year :) I was also looking at Learning Language Arts Through Literature and the Lifepacs program and I liked them all but McRuffy seemed to have more of what I wanted.

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Does he not know his phonic sounds?  Is he having trouble reading? Has he been in Public School?

CJsMommy040506
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM
He's been in PS, reads well, does know phonics. I'm asking about this program specifically about the spelling, if the words are typical of second or what everyone else uses.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM

What about inventing 3 challenge spelling words to raise the spelling activities up to your childs' level if that is what you think is needed?  You can come up with your own slightly tougher words to boost the spelling list if that's the only thing that would be lacking in that curriculum.   Just look for words that follow the pattern, or are tougher vocab words from another subject, like add three science-y words or something related to what you are doing in science, or three countries/states or other geography related word.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM

We tried both Lifepac and Learning LA through Lit...    They were too easy and gave my kids NO retention for language skills whatsoever.

My favorite grammar/english is Rod & Staff.   It's very old fashioned in it's approach, but I don't begin this until their third grade year.  Prior to that, I'm focused on phonics, reading, and handwriting/printing skills.  Spelling is fun, though, too. 

Quoting MonkeyPeanut79:

I haven't used it but I bought it for second grade next year :) I was also looking at Learning Language Arts Through Literature and the Lifepacs program and I liked them all but McRuffy seemed to have more of what I wanted.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM

oh, and we did most of our sight words in KG and first, not second.   We did them with our phonics program.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN