Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what are reasons folks wait on Kindergarden?

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 8 Replies

We waited a year on my daughter since she had an August birthday....my son just turned 5 (in april) and I feel he is ready to start this fall...but he doesn't like handwriting. He is already ahead on math and knows all the phonic sounds etc (from listening to his sister this year).......I am thinking of starting this fall but not stressing handwriting too much...thoughts? What are reasons any of you waited a year to start?

Energygirl :)
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jeweldragons
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:03 PM
The child isn't ready emotionally or socially. The child's parents may feel they need an extra year or two of preschool.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Sometimes I wish I had waited a year with Cole. He has a January birthday but he was still young at 5.
usmom3
by BJ on May. 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM

There are lots of family's that wait until the children are 7y/o or older to start formal learning.

CJsMommy040506
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM
My daughter is 4, 5 in July and we'll be starting in August. I won't force things though. I'll be reading a lot, and she'll be listening to my son reading too. She doesn't seem interested in reading or handwriting right now. It depends on the kid. My friend's son will be 4 in July and he's ready to read.
oahoah
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM

We just finished kindergarten with my 5 y/o (he turns 6 in a few weeks). He sounds a lot like your son, he loves math & reading but writing is still a weak spot. We did a lot of "fun" writing, dry erase, chalk, sensory trays, play-doh letters, etc;.  My oldest is 8 1/2 and on occasion I will let him do this for spelling.  That being said, handwriting was a very tough thing for my oldest, he was in private school for most of kindergarten and they had a lot of handwriting work on a daily basis so when we started homechooling I wanted to keep doing the same thing and after a rough few months I decided to back off on writing, now he enjoys writing on his own, mostly every day!  I took a similar approach with my 5 y/o, not forcing the writing but trying to get him to practice. He loves signing his name in cards and he has started stories and captioned pictures he has drawn. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Since we homeschool I am not waiting, but if my kids were going to public school I would hold my youngest back a year.  He is not emotionally ready to begin a public classroom setting.  He is also not ready to write yet.  However we will begin his schooling this July here at home.  He wants to have school like his brothers.  So we will begin working with Life of Fred Apples, Math U See Primer, and Hooked on Phonics Kindergarten.  We'll just keep most of it oral.  He'll draw, color, and play on the monkey bars until he is ready to hold a pencil properly. 

celticdragon77
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

This is what I did (delayed start for formal education). 

From an early age they learned through play, organized activities, curiosity, etc.

They had access to a lot of manipulatives, arts and crafts, books, nature, educational toys, helped out a lot with cooking and such...

There are SO many ideas out there!  

We had some Montessori, Charlotte Mason and Waldorf influences incorporated in our days. 

Inspiring a love for knowledge was my aim. I wanted them to want to explore. 

However, to the op, I will say this... If there is any chance that they will go to public school, then you have to keep your schools curriculum and methods of education in mind. It is not an easy transition just as is, but having such an extreme difference between the two will increase the chance of many issues for everyone involved. 

Quoting usmom3:

There are lots of family's that wait until the children are 7y/o or older to start formal learning.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)