Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sensory Defensiveness

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 7 Replies

I suspect but haven't gotten a diagnoses that my son has Sensory Defensiveness. Does anyone on here have a child with this?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Let me give you a bump!
amandae21
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:12 AM

My toddler does. She doesn't have an official DX but she has sensory processing problems and is extremely sensitive to sound and touch.

noraa21
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I do, we have an offical DX what are you wanting to know about it?

Kat0038
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Where do I begin. Ok well my son is four years old son shows most of the signs but has not been diagnosed. Would it be helpful to get a diagnoses? Where do I find information on it? We have issues with him such as disipline, clothes, eating, etc. Can't get him to eat but a few items, mainly anything with a rough hard texture. Anyway I'm having a hard time finding information on it. Our library doesn't carry any books on it. Is there a website? Should we talk to his pediatrician? Does it effect teaching and learning? I feel very much in the dark about the situation. 

Quoting noraa21:

noraa21
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I would recommend reading the book called "The Out of Sync Child: Recognizing and coping with Sensory Integration Dysfunction" by Carol Kranowitz and Lucy Jane Miller, there is also a companion book The Out of Sync Child has Fun, it has activities in it for them to do, it is also by Carol Kranowitz. 

There is this website I found when looking up the name of the book, I don't know anything about it, but it looked like it had a wealth of information on it, might want to check it out.  http://www.spdfoundation.net/

With my son he also had eating problems, we worked with a feeding clinic because he was failure to thrive and he also had acid reflux.  They always told us to just let him eat what ever he wanted, because if you make food a battle or take away what they are comfortable with, it will then be way worse. 

As for the clothing I would just let him wear what he is comfortable with, my son would only wear jogging pants for the first 7 years, I tried to pick my battles with him, as we had more important things to worry about than trying to get him to wear a pair of pants that was going to make him be a little stinker all day.

Again I am only using my experience based on my son, just keep in mind each child is different even tho they have the same DX.  For him it did affect his learning, in that he could hear the humming of the lights, every little noise bugged him and he couldn't focus, they just gave him  ear phones to block out the noise and he did fine.

I would maybe read the book I mention, and then if you still have concerns talk to your pediatrician, to see if you can get your son an evaluation with an occupational therapist, they can prescribed what is called a sensory diet.  It helped my son and now at almost 12 years old he will et most anything, wear any type of clothing and can find his own sensory input if he needs it, so there is hope, it just takes work. Sorry I can't help you on the discipline much, with my son nothing seemed to work.

quoting Kat0038:

Where do I begin. Ok well my son is four years old son shows most of the signs but has not been diagnosed. Would it be helpful to get a diagnoses? Where do I find information on it? We have issues with him such as disipline, clothes, eating, etc. Can't get him to eat but a few items, mainly anything with a rough hard texture. Anyway I'm having a hard time finding information on it. Our library doesn't carry any books on it. Is there a website? Should we talk to his pediatrician? Does it effect teaching and learning? I feel very much in the dark about the situation. 

Quoting noraa21:

Kat0038
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Thank you for the info. I really appriciate it. I bet after I read the book I will have a better understanding.
Quoting noraa21:

I would recommend reading the book called "The Out of Sync Child: Recognizing and coping with Sensory Integration Dysfunction" by Carol Kranowitz and Lucy Jane Miller, there is also a companion book The Out of Sync Child has Fun, it has activities in it for them to do, it is also by Carol Kranowitz. 

There is this website I found when looking up the name of the book, I don't know anything about it, but it looked like it had a wealth of information on it, might want to check it out.  http://www.spdfoundation.net/

With my son he also had eating problems, we worked with a feeding clinic because he was failure to thrive and he also had acid reflux.  They always told us to just let him eat what ever he wanted, because if you make food a battle or take away what they are comfortable with, it will then be way worse. 

As for the clothing I would just let him wear what he is comfortable with, my son would only wear jogging pants for the first 7 years, I tried to pick my battles with him, as we had more important things to worry about than trying to get him to wear a pair of pants that was going to make him be a little stinker all day.

Again I am only using my experience based on my son, just keep in mind each child is different even tho they have the same DX.  For him it did affect his learning, in that he could hear the humming of the lights, every little noise bugged him and he couldn't focus, they just gave him  ear phones to block out the noise and he did fine.

I would maybe read the book I mention, and then if you still have concerns talk to your pediatrician, to see if you can get your son an evaluation with an occupational therapist, they can prescribed what is called a sensory diet.  It helped my son and now at almost 12 years old he will et most anything, wear any type of clothing and can find his own sensory input if he needs it, so there is hope, it just takes work. Sorry I can't help you on the discipline much, with my son nothing seemed to work.

quoting Kat0038:

Quoting noraa21:

Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Oh I have that. Its part of my autism. I will get really upset over certain things touching me. Its mainly on my feet. Oh and slime. It was popular in the 80s and made me vomit when I had it on my hand.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)