Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So my son loves Batman! He also loves his magic tree house series , imagination station series, he even loves to read his study bible. But he also loves super heros. So I decided since he also likes other educatioal and moral books its OK for him to read some fun stuff too.
So Today at the library he wanted to check out a Batman book. So he found some and as I am looking them over I have to say that I really don't like the pictures at all. For instance wonder women or who ever she was looked like a way over done plastic surgery mess. Her chest was gigantic with cleavage everywhere! I was worried about the violence now I have this to worry about too?
My question is do you know of any Batman or superman books that arnt so provocative? We ended up checking out an older Batman chapter book , pics were wayyyy better but even reading it I see the words flirting and dating. Hmmm.
He is 7 but loves to read so his reading is probably at a fifth grade level.
I appreciate any help with this.
Thank you.
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
mommytobooger
by on May. 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM
True. We live Barnes and noble most if the comic children's ate easy reading but that's OK I will stick to it just with those books. Recently in the library he found like a real comic and thought it was cool and honestly I never read them but always thought they were fine after reading a few I couldn't believe it, then again with the sexuality in this county these says u am not surprised. I just don't get why a women's cleavage has anything to do with saving the day. Lol
Thanks for the advice

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

What about actually shopping in children's books. Yes the adult comics are going to be more adult. But in our bookstore there are Batman childrens books and that is really where you should shop for kids. You can do a basic search on Barnes & Noble for something like that.

mommytobooger
by on May. 4, 2013 at 6:45 PM
OK I absolutely love bibleman !
Thank you !
I am ordering now can't wait till he sees it!
I really thank you so much

Quoting Goober2010:

Have you ever heard of Bibleman?

Goober2010
by New Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:20 PM
You are most welcome.

Quoting mommytobooger:

OK I absolutely love bibleman !

Thank you !

I am ordering now can't wait till he sees it!

I really thank you so much

Quoting Goober2010:

Have you ever heard of Bibleman?

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Free Comic Day is once a year on the first Saturday in May. Dude had a great time there today. He got his free comic, bought one, and even got a free pencil drawing of Ezio from Assassin's Creed by an artist who was there for the day. There were even people who came in costume! Big nerdy fun :)
CrimsonRadiance
by on May. 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Were you in the graphic novel section or the children's section?

Marvel has a pretty good section of child friendly heroes.
Saphira1207
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM

The comics you're looking at are geared toward older males, that's why there's cleavage like that.  They always have been.  I've been reading comics since the early 80's and they have always been risque for the times.  That's why they're called "Graphic novels" now instead of comics.

As other posters have mentioned they do make versions more appropriate for younger readers.  There's a younger version of Iron Man out (separate as well as part of the Super Hero Squad) and the newer versions of the Avengers (which occationally has Batty as part of the group) is also generally covered up.  It also has only one female (Black Widow) who tends to leave her zipper down a bit but not so much that there's actual cleavage showing.  She also kicks ass and out does the guys pretty regularly!

X-men costumes tend to have full coverage and are also skin tight in most cases (except Gambit, and Nightcrawler).  Emma Frost prefers skimpy clothes but it's a lot like a bathing suit top with the standard tight pants that most heros tend to wear.

Hope that helps.

Quoting mommytobooger:

True. We live Barnes and noble most if the comic children's ate easy reading but that's OK I will stick to it just with those books. Recently in the library he found like a real comic and thought it was cool and honestly I never read them but always thought they were fine after reading a few I couldn't believe it, then again with the sexuality in this county these says u am not surprised. I just don't get why a women's cleavage has anything to do with saving the day. Lol
Thanks for the advice

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

What about actually shopping in children's books. Yes the adult comics are going to be more adult. But in our bookstore there are Batman childrens books and that is really where you should shop for kids. You can do a basic search on Barnes & Noble for something like that.

mommynightowl
by New Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Quoting mommytobooger:

I'm so sorry I didn't see this till now. Free comic book day is always the first Saturday in May. I'm not sure what they do with the leftover comics. There's a free comic book day website that helped find store that participate. Or maybe try Craigslist and see if someone's got some.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Christian book store... I went to their website and searched graphic novels...

http://www.mardel.com/search/default.aspx?Keyword=graphic+novels

Kerseygeek
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM
If you have a good comic book store near you they should be able to find you some age appropriate comics/books on any character you want. There's usually a kids' section. We accidentally bought the wrong one for our daughter once. Sometimes it's hard to tell so asking someone who works there is a big help. You may not get that kind of knowledgable help at the library.
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM

We were there again today. I got a Dresden Files comic and Dude picked up The Rocketeer, which is very old-school. No boobalicious babes in sight. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)