Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

PS will rot her brain

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:00 AM
  • 7 Replies

Slightly rant-ish...

DD will be attending a public charter school in the fall. This is short-term. You may have seen my previous post about my special needs toddler making HS very difficult in the last year.

I have had the JOY of watching my child develop a love for learning by being allowed to explore her interests. The words 'inspiration' and 'curiosity' come to mind. She still struggles in math but she is such a natural, driven learner. She will sit up for hours reading about whatever has her gears turning. I have watched her ingeniously construct forts with no direction other than telling her where to find the duct tape when she asked. I have watched her devour books that are "out of her reading level" (Hunger Games - she is 9). She has developed this incredibly strong mind. If she has a question, whether it's why we hiccup or what makes flowers colorful, she digs in deep.

Don't get me wrong. She is still a fun loving child who dresses up in nice dresses to sit at the table with her little sister for "tea" in the middle of the day for fun. She still plays with Barbies and other toys.

But her mind... I cannot measure the difference the last year of eclectic/casual/unschoolish learning has made. It baffles me that a child her age can suck up so much information when it is something they themselves decide to do.

To send her to PS is to take away her free will. Her... liberation. Her freedom. She will be squished back into a round peg to go back through the round hole. She will not have someone there to help her through Math. She will pour that brilliant mind into dull, useless worksheets.

I fear she will regress into her former school-hating self. That the curiosity and love for learning will die.

Pity party over. I just had to share this with someone who might understand what I'm going through. Everyone around me keeps basically saying, "Oh, that's a load off!" It's not a "load off." Homeschooling is stressful, yes, but so is having a toddler or a baby. So is college That doesn't mean you want to drop out or dump the baby/toddler off on someone else all day just to make life less stressful.

ETA: The thing that hurts the most is that DD isn't really upset about going back...

by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
shamrock_momma
by on May. 2, 2013 at 7:49 AM
While I can't relate to your situation, I do feel for you. I can't imagine sending my ds back to ps and see his independent self trying to merge back into the school farm. Homeschooling is hard, but like you said, so are so many other things that are good. I will keep you and yours in my prayers!
oredeb
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM

awwww hope she can come home again soon

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM
*hugs * hopefully, her love of learning will carry her through. 8)
CaitsCookies
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Just a word of encouragement - if it is a good charter school, it may not stifle that love of learning you've helped her to rediscover. Before we began our TX homeschooling journey, my 23yo son and I lived in Muskogee, OK for a bit. There, he attended a wonderful art-based charter school. He thrived in that environment. The only issue we had was that he was already writing beautifully in cursive, but they had him go back to manuscript because the other students hadn't yet been taught cursive. It ruined his beautiful handwriting, something he never regained.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I love homeschooling but not all schools stifle education.  Just stay involved and she will be fine.  I learned to love books, history, writing, and many other things while in school.  I hope things go well.  If things don't go well the beauty of homeschooling is you can start any time you wish. 

usmom3
by BJ on May. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I hope it works out well for all of you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)