Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chores and Allowance ~ how do you work it out in your home?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know we've talked about this before but I'm curious how everyone does this.  Do you assign chores and pay based on that? Do they do extra chores if they are wanting to earn extra $$?  If you don't mind how much do you pay and how old are the kids?  We've not had a pay based system in our home and things work out great.  My kids help out all the time and are happy to do it.  Lately my dd(11) has become interested in earning extra $.    

by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
hwblyf
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM

We treat allowance as an opportunity to learn to deal with money and what it can and cannot do for you.  So at 5 they start the allowance.  By this point they've already gotten birthday money several times that they can remember and are excited that they get regular money to spend.  They get $3/week, but it has to be divvied into savings, spending, and church.  Always.  When they turn 8 it goes to $4/week, when they turn 10 the allowance stops.  At this point I've only got the one who's that old.  My 7 and almost 6 year old are bummed because we went to Wal Mart to spend their money and they both had to borrow to get their ideal toy.  They aren't happy that every week they've had to turn over their spending money to me.  They get the chance to earn Christmas present money in the fall and spring when there are tons of job that I would possibly consider hiring someone for.  Chores, though, are a part of being a family.  I am contemplating the next step in allowances for my oldest.  At some point I'd like him to learn to use stocks and funds to further his portfolio, but paying him $50 or more a month seems crazy to me.  I grew up maxing out my allowance at something like $2.50, so that's where my brain's stuck!

coala
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM

currently I don't pay for responsibilities  (chores).  Most days they don't get to the afternoon ones anyways or they "forget" about them.  My girls are quite ready for the responsibility of money.  We will get there one day.  Some days they are both eager to help out and on others they whine about it.  When they are little more mature we may look at things a little different.  I have a 4 almost 5 yo, and a 7 yo (adopted at 6, so we are overcoming a LOT of problems...in many ways she is less mature then my 4 yo, but things are getting better).

HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Well I don't give allowances.

I do however have chores. I use this site.. It has an app that goes on my phone.. The children log in and then they click on what they have done to get points towards a new toy etc.. or a fishing trip etc!

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM

It's their house too, so they get household responsibilities(chores), just like my husband and I do, and they're expected to do them for free, just like us.

They don't ask for money because I have told them that when it's needed, then I am there to provide for it.  They know that if it's a want, in most cases if they have earned it then they will often get it eventually.  If they are invited someplace that requires money or want to go someplace like the movies that requires money then provided we have the funds, and they have been well behaved, done well in school and kept up on their chores, then I have no issues with giving them some money to go out and do what they want.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Chores are expected, not requested at our house 'cuz we are meanies.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I like the idea of splitting the money.

Quoting hwblyf:

We treat allowance as an opportunity to learn to deal with money and what it can and cannot do for you.  So at 5 they start the allowance.  By this point they've already gotten birthday money several times that they can remember and are excited that they get regular money to spend.  They get $3/week, but it has to be divvied into savings, spending, and church.  Always.  When they turn 8 it goes to $4/week, when they turn 10 the allowance stops.  At this point I've only got the one who's that old.  My 7 and almost 6 year old are bummed because we went to Wal Mart to spend their money and they both had to borrow to get their ideal toy.  They aren't happy that every week they've had to turn over their spending money to me.  They get the chance to earn Christmas present money in the fall and spring when there are tons of job that I would possibly consider hiring someone for.  Chores, though, are a part of being a family.  I am contemplating the next step in allowances for my oldest.  At some point I'd like him to learn to use stocks and funds to further his portfolio, but paying him $50 or more a month seems crazy to me.  I grew up maxing out my allowance at something like $2.50, so that's where my brain's stuck!

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Interesting idea!

Quoting HopeJoyPeace1:

Well I don't give allowances.

I do however have chores. I use this site.. It has an app that goes on my phone.. The children log in and then they click on what they have done to get points towards a new toy etc.. or a fishing trip etc!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM

My children are 6, 7, and 10, for reference.

They earn $5 per week for working six days (no chores on Sunday). They all have to help unload the dishwasher in the morning, and clean up their rooms before getting ready for bed in the evening. The other chores rotate. We have a calendar. On each day, they have 2 or 3 chores. The chores rotate week to week so for one week they have the same every day, then the next week new ones, etc. The chores include:

Feed the dog breakfast/give him water

Vacuum the living room

Take out recycling & bring in the mail

Vacuum another room (besides LR)

Fold a load of laundry

Spray & wipe the table after meals

Wipe out the bathroom sink and empty the trash can

etc.

We always pay them in 4 1-dollar bills and 4 quarters, so they can easily pay tithing (50 cents).

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:40 PM

If they have a rotten attitude - like whining a LOT, complaining, or flat out do not do a chore (I will usually be nice and remind them ONCE), they do not get paid for that whole day, even if they did everything else that day. We put an X on the calendar for that day. This almost never happens because they are greedy little buggers.

Jlee4249
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM
We don't pay our kids to clean things, since they actually like helping.
When they get to the point to ask for extra money, I'll have a list of things they can do to earn it:
wash the car, vacuum & clean the inside of the van, wash windows, weed the garden/flower beds, wash the dog, spot-clean the carpets, etc.... The kind of things that aren't done regularly.
After that, there's babysitting & neighbor jobs: mowing, weeding...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)