Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Chores and Allowance ~ how do you work it out in your home?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know we've talked about this before but I'm curious how everyone does this.  Do you assign chores and pay based on that? Do they do extra chores if they are wanting to earn extra $$?  If you don't mind how much do you pay and how old are the kids?  We've not had a pay based system in our home and things work out great.  My kids help out all the time and are happy to do it.  Lately my dd(11) has become interested in earning extra $.    

by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Replies (21-23):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on May. 4, 2013 at 7:59 AM

My kids will be 10 and 11 this summer, they each earn $5/week, they take out the trash/recycling, sweep the floors, do the dishes (every other day for each of them), clean their rooms, and help sort the laundry.  They also have to do home work (still in ps right now) and other things as requested-feed the dog, let him in/out, pick up their things around the house, etc. 

Also, they get tally marks for bad attitude, 10 tally marks in a week means no allowance that week.  They also have to go things mostly on their own without tons of reminders.

I'm not sure if this will work when we hs since I won't be making much money if any and money is already tight.  We will have to play it by ear and see. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM

We don't give cash. We do fictional bucks the kids use to rent electronics from me for 24 hours.

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM
My kids do chores but most chores relate to them personally. They wash their dishes after eating, clean their own rooms, make their own beds and do their own laundry (which I supervise). The extra chore they do for our family is Thailee helps me serve dinner and feed our cats. Destinay wipes the table after eating. I don't give them an allowance. The way I see it I support them and they are old enough to handle their business, to an extent. If they wanted something I would do my best within reason. If they wanted money for something specific then we would talk about it and come up with extra things they could do to earn it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)