Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I just found the neatest statistic

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 9 Replies
4 moms liked this

I was on my state's homeschool website (I'm in NC) and they have a chart that compares homeschools in the state from year to year.  In the '88-'89 school year, there were 1,300 registered home schools.  In the '11-'12 school year, there were 48,000!  that's amazing to me!!  i figured more & more people were homeschooling, but i was really surprised to see that many registered homeschools.

by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow!!! That IS awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Not to mention those that don't register. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm in NC too. :-D
almondpigeon
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM

i was thinking that too.  here, you don't have to register until your child turns 7 during the school year.  i'm sure there are a lot of kindergarteners that are being homeschooled that hasn't registered.

Quoting Boobah:

Not to mention those that don't register. :)

irvinehiker
by Andrea on May. 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

That is awesome!  I love how hs is more mainstream now and not just done by fringe people.  

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Our state site gives links to all sorts of statistics. What I find speaks volumes the county I live in, has the most homeschoolers for the entire state, and from what I can see over the years, always has... The county next to us is catching up too now. For the 2011-12 school year, there were 583 registered homeschoolers for my county, and 555 the year before that.  Overall homeschoolers, 7,151 for the 2011-12 year, and 6,736 before that.  The number enrolled in private school has dropped tho.  I love looking at all those numbers lol.  It's kind of nice for me when we go out, the majority of the people around here are very accepting of homeschoolers...but there's a pretty good reason why lol.

usmom3
by BJ on May. 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

More & more people are homeschooling & now there are second & third generations homeschooling their children. I love to see the numbers grow!

CJsMommy040506
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Wow that's a huge change! I'm 26 and so far I've only met 2 adults that were homeschooled.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:46 AM
That's so neat. I wonder what Ohio's statistics would be?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)