Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

teaching vowels

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

I asked this in the other homeschool group so sorry if some of you see it twice. How do you teach vowels and at what grade. I think knowing what vowels are would make reading for my 4 year old so much easier so i could teach her the rule of when two vowels ae beside each other and the rule about if theres an e at the end. When I was a kid we learned that the vowels were the girl letters. I'd like to teah her this way but i cant seem to find ANYTHING on it, no coloring sheets, books, games, nothing. Has anyone else seen these?

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Here is a bump, I just cover it all together not breaking it down like that.

JocelynsMama1
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM

what do you mean not breaking it down like that? you dont teach what vowels are?

Quoting usmom3:

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

The first time through the alphabet, we teach short sounds.   The second time through (doing letter of the week) we discuss the long sounds.  If they struggle, I would go through the alphabet again...  If they have it down and are beginning reading easy words, I just move onto an actual phonics curriculum.  Sorry, if that doesn't help.

JocelynsMama1
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM

im not talking about how to teach phonics shes already reading (with help) im talking about teaching which letters are vowels

Quoting KrissyKC:

The first time through the alphabet, we teach short sounds.   The second time through (doing letter of the week) we discuss the long sounds.  If they struggle, I would go through the alphabet again...  If they have it down and are beginning reading easy words, I just move onto an actual phonics curriculum.  Sorry, if that doesn't help.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM

If you are talking about IDENTIFYING which letters are vowels and which are consonants, we kinda do that in combination with a good phonics and spelling program.   I introduce the concept of vowels and consonants as soon as they start putting simple words together and reading simple words.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Do you remember the old "letter people" shows we used to watch?

usmom3
by BJ on May. 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM

No I mean that I don't call the vowels anything but vowels & cover them right along with the consonants. 

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

what do you mean not breaking it down like that? you dont teach what vowels are?

Quoting usmom3:

JocelynsMama1
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM

thats all i meant...i just want a fun way for her to memorize them

Quoting KrissyKC:

If you are talking about IDENTIFYING which letters are vowels and which are consonants, we kinda do that in combination with a good phonics and spelling program.   I introduce the concept of vowels and consonants as soon as they start putting simple words together and reading simple words.

JocelynsMama1
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM

is that where im getting thhe girls are vowels thing from? OMG i found it on youtube thats so where i got it from LOL

Quoting KrissyKC:

Do you remember the old "letter people" shows we used to watch?

JocelynsMama1
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM

i just taught her all her letter sounds at once

Quoting usmom3:

No I mean that I don't call the vowels anything but vowels & cover them right along with the consonants. 

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)