Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I asked this in the other homeschool group so sorry if some of you see it twice. How do you teach vowels and at what grade. I think knowing what vowels are would make reading for my 4 year old so much easier so i could teach her the rule of when two vowels ae beside each other and the rule about if theres an e at the end. When I was a kid we learned that the vowels were the girl letters. I'd like to teah her this way but i cant seem to find ANYTHING on it, no coloring sheets, books, games, nothing. Has anyone else seen these?

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Replies (11-18):
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM
WWW.havefunteaching.com
Leapfrog movies

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

I asked this in the other homeschool group so sorry if some of you see it twice. How do you teach vowels and at what grade. I think knowing what vowels are would make reading for my 4 year old so much easier so i could teach her the rule of when two vowels ae beside each other and the rule about if theres an e at the end. When I was a kid we learned that the vowels were the girl letters. I'd like to teah her this way but i cant seem to find ANYTHING on it, no coloring sheets, books, games, nothing. Has anyone else seen these?

JocelynsMama1
by on May. 3, 2013 at 6:48 AM

ill look into them thanks

Quoting motheroffour186:

WWW.havefunteaching.com
Leapfrog movies

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

coala
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Leap Frog was amazing for us.  My DD was "trying" to read before she had all the skills to put it all together.....this was before she was 2.  She started reading just before her 4th birthday. 

I honestly haven't taught anything beyond this is a vowel and it has a short sound.....she then used a Leap Frog toy that played a song for the letters that were put on it and it would do both the short and the long sounds.  From there her reading took off and she doesn't need the whole....when two vowels are together lesson, or when there is an e at the end.  I know she will get it as her phonics program progesses, but she has never needed that explanation.

I hope you find what you are looking for to teach it they way that works for you.

LoriAlane8
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Have you ever checked out K12's curriculum for K and 1st grade? The LA lessons which include phonics was developed by them and is awesome.It not only uses readers but also tiles. Lots of hands-on things for the kiddos.
LooneyLovegood
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM
My son is in Kindergarten and im teaching him the vowels and that every word has a vowel.
JocelynsMama1
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM

you cant sound out certain words without knowing those rules...my daughter is reading books pretty well but i have to tell her when to use the long vowel sound or when theres a silent e on the end...its common sense that it needs to be taught

Quoting coala:

Leap Frog was amazing for us.  My DD was "trying" to read before she had all the skills to put it all together.....this was before she was 2.  She started reading just before her 4th birthday. 

I honestly haven't taught anything beyond this is a vowel and it has a short sound.....she then used a Leap Frog toy that played a song for the letters that were put on it and it would do both the short and the long sounds.  From there her reading took off and she doesn't need the whole....when two vowels are together lesson, or when there is an e at the end.  I know she will get it as her phonics program progesses, but she has never needed that explanation.

I hope you find what you are looking for to teach it they way that works for you.

JocelynsMama1
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I did but o te k12 site it was making me register her for kindergarten to use it ad hses jsut in preschool

Quoting LoriAlane8:

Have you ever checked out K12's curriculum for K and 1st grade? The LA lessons which include phonics was developed by them and is awesome.It not only uses readers but also tiles. Lots of hands-on things for the kiddos.

coala
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:27 PM

It might be common sense that it needs to be taught to most children.  I just haven't had to actually teach those rules to her, she picked them up on her own.  All I am saying is that I haven't had to do that and she is reading a book that is an AR level of 2.4.  She hasn't needed much help with it, except that she "feels" there are to many words on a page.  So she reads a few pages and asks me to read a few pages....this breaks it up for her.  I don't know many 4 yo personally that can do this. 

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

you cant sound out certain words without knowing those rules...my daughter is reading books pretty well but i have to tell her when to use the long vowel sound or when theres a silent e on the end...its common sense that it needs to be taught

Quoting coala:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN