Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you use DVDs in teaching?

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you think of "Standard Deviants School"? I want to purchase it for my son but I need someone to help me decide. Thanks

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
mommy4lyf
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM

First of all thank you for the information. I am very grateful for getting all that product information for me and that helps me make the decision. I am sorry that I forgot to mention that my son is autistic. I still can't find a homeschooling parents with children with autism. I found 3 local bookstore/homeschool supplies used/brand new products. I will go to the library today not tomorrow =)

Since, it's my first time homeschooling (part time), I sometimes ran out of ideas on how to get him understand the lesson especially in Math. I have printed books for science and reading, I also use notebooking and lapbooking which are very helpful in Science, History and Reading. I use computer games, ipad games, music and online subscriptions for workbooks. He's an artist so I use his own drawing in Writing. I let him describe his drawing in detail.

I am not sure of the DVDs because he mostly watch his favorite movies. I just don't want to buy it and ended up unopened and untouched.

Quoting celticdragon77:

To answer the op question of whether I use videos or not... 

Most definitely. Knowledge is found in many venues and I see no reason to ever seek it by only one mean. 

Unlike most homeschoolers, I do not prescribe to the "teach to the personal learning style". Life is not and should not be about processing information only via visual, auditory, hands on, or the etc. I believe that a person needs to develop skills at processing information via many forms. This makes for a more well rounded and adaptable person, in my opinion. 

An abstract example of this; I was working on a csa farm. The owners were Montessori teachers. The one day, the woman and I were talking about education. At some point, she mentioned how they had knitting classes in her school. Without her even completing her thoughts, and with an absent mind, I chimed in that I had tried learning but it just wasn't for me. She asked why. I said, well, because I can't sit still for long, I get restless, and I just struggled with it. It just didn't fit me. She smiled, and said, THAT is exactly why we teach knitting to the kids. She went on to explain that it is important to teach kids to sit still, be quiet with their thoughts, to focus their attentions, to learn a new concept - even if it doesn't come easily or naturally, and she had other reasons. But I remember that intensely stuck with me. And I see how it relates with learning styles - and many aspects of the academic life - and other parts of life. 

I know your post isn't so much about learning styles, but I see the topic come up so much. Everyone is free to have their opinions, but I wanted to mention another way of looking at it. I hope that my opinions here are not offensive in any way. 

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

celticdragon77
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Thank you! - for pointing out that he is autistic. I didn't even think of that when I wrote this, and makes me conscious of the fact that some kids really do need things tailored to them differently. It seems obvious to me now and I apologize if my comments were offensive.

I feel for you with trying to find other Austisic kids to get together with. I wish I had some suggestions. The only thing that comes to find is google, yahoo groups, asking the school... 

I think the methods you are using are fabulous! As for the videos, maybe try one first and see how it goes. Is there one that seems like he would favor more so? That would be the best place to start. Or even see if he likes what he sees of them on YouTube. 

I know your plate is full and you are strong loving mama. = )

Quoting mommy4lyf:

First of all thank you for the information. I am very grateful for getting all that product information for me and that helps me make the decision. I am sorry that I forgot to mention that my son is autistic. I still can't find a homeschooling parents with children with autism. I found 3 local bookstore/homeschool supplies used/brand new products. I will go to the library today not tomorrow =)

Since, it's my first time homeschooling (part time), I sometimes ran out of ideas on how to get him understand the lesson especially in Math. I have printed books for science and reading, I also use notebooking and lapbooking which are very helpful in Science, History and Reading. I use computer games, ipad games, music and online subscriptions for workbooks. He's an artist so I use his own drawing in Writing. I let him describe his drawing in detail.

I am not sure of the DVDs because he mostly watch his favorite movies. I just don't want to buy it and ended up unopened and untouched.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Most definitely. Knowledge is found in many venues and I see no reason to ever seek it by only one mean. 

Unlike most homeschoolers, I do not prescribe to the "teach to the personal learning style". Life is not and should not be about processing information only via visual, auditory, hands on, or the etc. I believe that a person needs to develop skills at processing information via many forms. This makes for a more well rounded and adaptable person, in my opinion. 

An abstract example of this; I was working on a csa farm. The owners were Montessori teachers. The one day, the woman and I were talking about education. At some point, she mentioned how they had knitting classes in her school. Without her even completing her thoughts, and with an absent mind, I chimed in that I had tried learning but it just wasn't for me. She asked why. I said, well, because I can't sit still for long, I get restless, and I just struggled with it. It just didn't fit me. She smiled, and said, THAT is exactly why we teach knitting to the kids. She went on to explain that it is important to teach kids to sit still, be quiet with their thoughts, to focus their attentions, to learn a new concept - even if it doesn't come easily or naturally, and she had other reasons. But I remember that intensely stuck with me. And I see how it relates with learning styles - and many aspects of the academic life - and other parts of life. 

I know your post isn't so much about learning styles, but I see the topic come up so much. Everyone is free to have their opinions, but I wanted to mention another way of looking at it. I hope that my opinions here are not offensive in any way. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Leapfrogs
mommy4lyf
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM

It was my mistake. But you have a point there. I think I will apply that idea about teaching him new skills. I am open to all suggestions and you really did great explaining it. I am new to homeschooling and I really admire you guys for being so well versed about homeschooling. I know it's not easy at first but with support group like cm, I think I can do it.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Thank you! - for pointing out that he is autistic. I didn't even think of that when I wrote this, and makes me conscious of the fact that some kids really do need things tailored to them differently. It seems obvious to me now and I apologize if my comments were offensive.

I feel for you with trying to find other Austisic kids to get together with. I wish I had some suggestions. The only thing that comes to find is google, yahoo groups, asking the school... 

I think the methods you are using are fabulous! As for the videos, maybe try one first and see how it goes. Is there one that seems like he would favor more so? That would be the best place to start. Or even see if he likes what he sees of them on YouTube. 

I know your plate is full and you are strong loving mama. = )

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Quoting celticdragon77:

OakesMama
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

we use DVD's I have had excellent success with leap frog and word world for my pre-k kids which means I have more time for my big ones, I just read the above post so I will say I discovered the usage of video's because I oldest is not only ADHD but he is also PDD (pervasive developemental disorder) I usually rented the video's from netflix to see if they would catch his eye before I bought them but everything we do with him still is either video or an audio story then we follow up on paper.

Walnutgrovefarm
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM
2 moms liked this

We use MathUSee and Essentials in Writing DVD's. My ds is in junior high age, so using dvd's has helped him be more independent in learning. Takes more initiative when he can do subjects at his own pace.

QueenCreole313
by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks ladies! I'm looking into getting the Essentials in Writin DVDs for my son. It looks really good. He has a YouTube channel too. Thanks for sharing!
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Keep in mind that if you're looking at it used and it's still high (price wise), if you buy it new and it doesn't work out, you know that the resale value is high and you can always recoup some of that money.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

I checked ebay, amazon and craigslist for used one but it's still expensive. I am not sure about the library coz I don't go there much but I guess I will start to go there if I need to save money since we don't get allotment for part time homeschooling.

You are right. I was also thinking of that. What if it's not for him? or the right one for him? that's a total waste of money. I am wondering if it works for other homeschooler out there especially in teaching math.

Quoting usmom3:

We use TV programs from the Discovery channel, History channel & other educational TV like them.

Is there any way you can barrow them from the library or watch clips on YouTube to see if he even likes them? I have a hard time spending a lot of money on any curriculum because I would feel obligated to use it even if my child hated it.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mommy4lyf
by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Yes you are right. I think I will stick to educational dvds. They may be expensive but it's worth it and I know that I can sell it after we are done.

I will find a different approach on math. I think youtube can help me when it comes to fun way of teaching basic math.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Keep in mind that if you're looking at it used and it's still high (price wise), if you buy it new and it doesn't work out, you know that the resale value is high and you can always recoup some of that money.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

I checked ebay, amazon and craigslist for used one but it's still expensive. I am not sure about the library coz I don't go there much but I guess I will start to go there if I need to save money since we don't get allotment for part time homeschooling.

You are right. I was also thinking of that. What if it's not for him? or the right one for him? that's a total waste of money. I am wondering if it works for other homeschooler out there especially in teaching math.

Quoting usmom3:

We use TV programs from the Discovery channel, History channel & other educational TV like them.

Is there any way you can barrow them from the library or watch clips on YouTube to see if he even likes them? I have a hard time spending a lot of money on any curriculum because I would feel obligated to use it even if my child hated it.

ablessedlife
by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Never heard of it, but we use DVDs for Excellence in Writing and Saxon Math.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN