Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My 9 year old ds has Sensory Processing Disorder. He's been in therapy and was released saying that what was done at therapy was able to be done at the home level. 

We do his therapies, we acknowledge situations he needs more help in, we don't let it rule our lives or his. Now at 9 we have moved past the more obnoxious aspects, we don't have screaming fits anymore, we don't have horribly defiant behavior. It's been kind of nice actually. 

There are still a host of annoying issues, but compared to the past they're a cakewalk.

What I'm torn with is the idea of training my "right brained child" to be a "left brained child". 

Yes he's dyslexic, yes he has sensory issues.

But, there are so many WONDERFUL things.

He is spectacular at math, I mean scary good at math. He grasps science concepts with so much ease that I am constantly trying to challenge him. Technology is a piece of cake for him. Once we found the right way to explain it and the right tools to help him, his reading took off and he's almost two years ahead. 

What would he be losing in this "brain integration therapy"?

Why does he *have* to be a left brained kid?

Why does he have to fit some standard mold of how someone is supposed to think?

I would rather use the techniques learned in therapy to help him work with his abilities. Not change him. 

Supposedly Einstein was a right brained person, what would we have lost if someone had decided to "integrate" him??

*DS's therapist is pushing this idea and I'm just not really buying into it. 

by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:06 AM
Replies (11-13):
Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM

This is what I was thinking

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Well, isn't the reason most of us are homeschooling is so our kids don't have to fit a mold? Mom, I think you are right on target. You should not have to make him into something he isn't. The therapist is probably just using public school mentality in telling you he needs to be "integrated".

Brandy85412
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM
like with a lot of physiology it's just a theory. Do your own research and decide for yourself if it's right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southernwldchld
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

One of the best pieces of advice I heard was to not stress about him learning how to read. We backed off of it and focused on other aspects of Language Arts. We worked on memorizing sight word flash cards because his memory was his best assest. Right before his 8th birthday he had memorized almost all the sight words and we tried Hooked on Phonics, I'd always been kind of leery with any program with phonics in the title, but HOP was exactly what he needed. He's 9 now, and he went from fighting his way through a beginning K level to an easy 5th grade reading level in a little over a year and a half. 

There are still some aspects of being dyslexic he will always fight. He uses tinted glasses to stop the words from moving. Names are an issue for him. He doesn't sound things out, he seperates them into syllables. Names can be difficult for that. 

Spelling is a whole nother can of worms, I'm thinking of trying Hooked on Spelling. But in the meantime we just use a lot of patience.

Quoting mem82:

This

Quoting iknitsweatersyo:

Can you share how you taught him to read? I'm always looking for ways to help ds....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN