Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you hover when your kids are doing their lessons, or do they mostly work independently?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
ablessedlife
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Oh yes.  the goal is always to get them independent, and i tell them that.  But They are too young and immature for much independence.  As soon as I turn my back they are either daydreaming or fighting.  They still need "proximity control." 

celticdragon77
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I have things scheduled so that I work with the kids for about 4hrs a day. Then they have independent time to work on things. We are home, I'm a mom, and of course I am always easily accessible. It's peaceful here but there are distractions still. I've incorporated things into our day to help with avoiding distractions and to encourage time management skills. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I stay in the same area, but my kids are pretty self sufficient in thier lessons.

JIJs.Mommie
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM
This, except I have a Son and He never works in His room. =]

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

It depends. She can work independently, but she has to work at the kitchen table or in the living room to stay on task. If she works in her room, nothing gets done. So I don't "hover," but my presence is felt.

jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I never hover.  I help them as they need it.  Many times they ask me sit next to them.  They enjoy doing things together.I usually try and encourage them to figure things on their own

Teascha
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM
My 5yr old likes to do most of his stuff independently. I do work with him obviously but I don't hover. He loves his work so I have no trouble keeping him on task.
bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I do hover.  Ds, 9, is easily distracted and needs the supervision.

SalemWitchChild
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I'd like to be upstairs with Sierra. And at first I did stay in the room. But DS kept messing with the computer cords. It was so bad that he crashed my Dh's pc because he kept turning it off and on. I couldn't keep him away from them. So I started staying downstairs. She comes down when she needs help or if her work is offline and shes feeling lonely.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on May. 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM
I used to sit with them the whole time..now that they are getting a little older, 1st and almost 2ndand grade...I can get them started and then come back to check. :) or have them do so much and then come to me.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:12 PM

A little of both, maybe. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)