Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you hover when your kids are doing their lessons, or do they mostly work independently?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Replies (21-28):
Maridel
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Yes, my DD will space out and not do anything if I don't keep her on task. Which is no fun when I say "do this page while I put your brother down for a nap" and I come out and she's written 2 letters and spaced out

CatFishMom
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM

My son is only four so ninety percent of the time I sit there with him, but if it's an easy ditto that I know he can handle, I let him do it on his own.

Walnutgrovefarm
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM

My ds works independently when necessary. My presence is felt for math and language. After teaching history or science he is completely on his own to finsish those subjects.

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:13 AM
I tend to hover, I only homeschool my daughter, and just yesterday she was working on time4learning, and she told me to stop looking at her work because she gets distracted, lol. My son brought home homework from his school. I looked at it and started telling him how to find area, length times height. He was very resistant about it. At first I thought it was a behavioral issue, he has bipolar disorder and adhd. Then we went to see his counselor and I told her what happened. Then we were discussing it, and it occurred to me that he didn't ask for help. So my homework from the counseling session was to wait til he asks. So now I'm working on backing off until I'm asked. I think it is normal because Destinay is 10 and Thailee is 11.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM
This...I stay on top of it..but not RIGHT on top..in n out of the room.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

It depends. She can work independently, but she has to work at the kitchen table or in the living room to stay on task. If she works in her room, nothing gets done. So I don't "hover," but my presence is felt.

wowguildmomma
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM

3 spectrum kids and a toddler nearly requires hovering or instead of school work we find out how many dots are on the wall, why does paper have a smell and basically nothing but fidgets no matter what we do to help them. oldest is starting to be more independent but it is a struggle.

mommy4lyf
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM
When it comes to Math he wants me next to him.
oredeb
by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

independently

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN