Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm stupid because I was home schooled.

Posted by   + Show Post

My ds stayed the night at his g-grandparents house. While there I got a phone call from my cousin asking if her fiance could come to ds' b-day party tomorrow. Grandpa asked wasn't she dating a black guy. I said she was not anymore. He said well at least she isn't marrying him. I told him it doesn't matter what color they were. He said it's not them marrying that's the problem, it's their byproduct. Yep, that's what he called them. He said because they are mixed the whites won't except them and the blacks wont except them. I said I know this can be true but I have mixed cousins and that it isn't always the case. He said well you wouldn't know, you were sheltered and naive and don't know what's going on in the world because you were home schooled. I was furious! I told him just because I was home schooled doesn't mean I'm stupid and dont know anything.

I've been out of school for about 9 years. I mean even if I were then, doesn't mean I am now. All I could do was pack up the kids and leave. Seriously if you think I'm stupid because I was homeschooled, what do you think about your g-grandkids, because guess what, they are being home schooled.

by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
ablessedlife
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Next time retort, " Oh Gramps, I know about those attitudes. They are all around us. It is people who think that way that are naive! They should know better! They need to be exposed to better thinking!"
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Exactly! Just because I don't agree with him doesn't mean I'm not aware of some of these things that unfortunately do happen. He didn't give me a chance to say that though.

Quoting ablessedlife:

Really, if he would just use those old old brains, he would see that you have been taught better.

Problem is, he thinks you're naive. Perhaps explain to him that having good values and adhering to them doesn't mean you are clueless about the evil around us.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Pfffft lol
I remember getting 'the talk' when I was about 14 or so and got a black guy's phone number. I don't see the problem with it. It's very accepted in most areas, now. Lol sounds like your goals is sheltered and needs more socialization!
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Grandpa not goals

Quoting mem82:

Pfffft lol

I remember getting 'the talk' when I was about 14 or so and got a black guy's phone number. I don't see the problem with it. It's very accepted in most areas, now. Lol sounds like your goals is sheltered and needs more socialization!
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I don't see an issue either. The only thing my mom ever said was to be careful mixing cultures, but she meant everywhere. What's sad is a lot of people in this town hold similar views.

Quoting mem82:

Pfffft lol

Kat0038
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Zack is the result of our failing public school system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5CtbbZL-k

celticdragon77
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Well what's his excuse?

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM

You have to understand that your great grandparents are from a different generation.  My grandfather is in his 90's.  When I married my husband I told the family if they ever wanted to see me again I would not hear racisted remarks.  My hometown and some of my family are very racisted.  But anyway my grandfather asked my mom, not me, what I was doing with that N word.  (My husband is Asian Indian.)  We talked about it, and because he was not rude to us  when we went and would never say something like that to a child we would just forget about it. 

If my grandfather said something about homeschooling I would ask him not to say anything to the kids.  Just because he thinks your kids are sheltered and dont know about racisted people thats not a big deal.  Being sheltered and naive is not all bad. 

NoraDun
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I was so dumb after homeschooling my 11th and 12th grade year that I married the love of my life, one of the best men I know! And we have four beautiful children (#4 is still growing in my belly) that also will grow up dumb....AND unexcepted :)

Forgive your Grandparents, they were raised in a different generation! Although its not an excuse I see it often. The thing is, there are far more people who excpet my children then people who don't. And my children don't need to be around those who don't.

My parents had concerns when I fell in love at 14, and got married at 18 to my Hubby. But 13 yrs later, 9 yrs married, and they see how amazing my life is. And how blessed we are. They were against homeschooling as well until I began homeschooling, and now they are thrilled. And they can see how much better they are doing, and how much different they act compared to many of the public school children they are around!

I am sorry that you have to deal with this issue with them.

NoraDun
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this

When my Hubby and I were planning our Wedding we went to the pastor of my church (which he had also been attending for about two years) The preacher was EXTREMELY excited to marry us. We planned an outside wedding, everyone seemed happy for us. We even had a wedding shower thrown by the church and a bunch of the really old folks showed up! Well the day of our wedding a hurricane came through. So we quickly had to change our outdoor wedding to indoors at the church. Our wedding went on without a hitch. But the repercussions after words were extreme. They fired my Grandfather as a deacon (he greatly supported my Husband, and loved him dearly) because a mixed race couple were married inside the church, the entire church became separated. Us against them. A lot of people stood up for us, but a lot were against us. The actually threatened to fire the pastor, and youth pastor for standing up for us. After a long time things calmed down (some of the older folks causing fuss passed away) some people apologized, and some just kept their opinions to themselves. They kept our pastor on, and the church completely changed for the better. Because of the heartache we went through since we were married many mixed race couples have been married at the church, including a member and her fiance' Trinidad, a member and his fiance' from Cuba, etc. And no fuss has been made. Its sad we had to go through the mess, but its nice we stood up for what was right, and paved the way for other couples down the road not to run into the same mess! Our church is also mixed congregation now. And has grown substantially! My Hubby refused to ever leave the church too. He knew that for every 1 person who disagreed with us and our marraige, their were 10 who loved us and supported us. To this day its our home church, and even when we move in a few days we will drive the hour to church because he doesn't want to find another!

Quoting Dawn07:

I don't see an issue either. The only thing my mom ever said was to be careful mixing cultures, but she meant everywhere. What's sad is a lot of people in this town hold similar views.

Quoting mem82:

Pfffft lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)