Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If someone walked into your house, would they know you HomeSchool?

Posted by   + Show Post
?
by on May. 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Replies (21-30):
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:01 AM
maybe u have a lot of educational poster hanging up all over the house books on the book stands then I have my preschoolers spelling words hanging up. Letters across my living rooms and in kitchen in cursives and educational movies is always playing.

Quoting mem82:

?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Probably not. Other than the white board in a hallway and the bookshelf in the dining room, I really do not want it to take over the house, so I do my best to keep it at a minimum.

Now, if they came while we were working, I'm sure they would know, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

lucsch
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Depends on when and where they go.

If I put all the books away in the hutch in our dining room and take down a few papers on the walls, no.

If they come in on a day we are homeschooling, they will see the books everywhere, so yes.

If they go in our basement, where I store most of our future homeschooling materials, yes!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Oh my good gravy YES...

I can't keep the stuff put up enough... we have a table in the living room.   The one in the living room has 2-3 laptops on it at any given time plus books, paper, crafts, and other things are also piled on this table. 

I also have a black rolling 3-drawer cart and a pantry dedicated to books and curriculum.

I have actually TWO tables in my small dining room.  I have a table to eat at that is oval shaped, next to it is a book shelf for the toddler/preschool level books.  The other table in the dining room is one of those long wood folding tables, and I have bins of storage under that, too.   I have a stackable organizer.   The top one has extra science and social studies books from Abeka and such that my kids get to read whenever we need filler stuff to do... the middle one has lined and unlined writing and printer paper, the bottom one has all the other paper (construction, tracing, grid, etc..)

I also keep a library book box for each child, too... usually it's in the living room, but now that baby is mobile, it needed to be moved out of reach, so it is on that long table as well.   The long table is also my drying rack for anything wet or half-done projects.

I also have an incentive chart on the wall that we color in every 50 hours that we do of schooling.

I also have an alphabet chart that I hand made, plus a placemat sized map of the USA/world map on back.  This is next to my calendar. 

Also, above the fish tank is a wall of hand made tissue paper flowers right now...plus a few other things.   Greeting you at the front door right now is the outline of my 5 yr old that she colored herself.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM
They would probably figure it out. LOL..the big maps and timeline on the walls would be a hint.
almondpigeon
by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Yes. The main door we use opens in to the classroom. It's pretty obvious what goes on in there.
elizabooks
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM
no probably not. other than the workbook on the table our house has looked the same-like a small library- for a decade now.
wowguildmomma
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:16 PM

yea it is a sure bet that they will know that we homeschool since our name banner is above the whiteboard that my kids made me last year as a mothers day gift and I have shelves of homeschool stuff all around the area. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Yeah, don't get me wrong, we don't actually work in there..lol.. I think when I started the room conversion I foresaw us actually using it for school. Of course, it might have been my borderline OCD, which freaks at disorganization, that convinced the kids the room was better off if looked at rather than interacted with?.lol.

Quoting celticdragon77:

There is no room for our dining room table to be in the kitchen. Otherwise I would move things to work like that (it sure would be handy). But the room we are renovating is just off the kitchen and will be close by to keep our stuff stored. However, the kids don't want to do school in there. They want to do it in the dining room and living room. I am a neat freak and everything has to be organized - to the point of almost ocd. So we will see how things go... I did go and buy two large plastic cabinet / storage units that are made for home and garden or garage use. I put them in the basement so that the kids can store projects and such down there. 

We are going to be notebooking for every subject - a binder for every subject - x2 kids. It has occurred to me that within a few years, I will have a mass collection of notebooking binders to store. = / 

Quoting KickButtMama:

We have a room like that! I guess in other people's homes it might be referred to as a 'dining room'...lol...but we have our meal table in our kitchen and the homeschool room it outfitted with the bookshelves, futon, etc. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

Yes, they would see kids at home during the day doing educational work. Other than that, no. 

I am excited about a space that we are renovating into an art room / homeschool storage room. However, it is not a room that anyone would normally access when visiting (even though it's on the first floor), and even if someone did see it, they wouldn't think "homeschool". 

kttycat84
by Bonnie on May. 6, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Yep. We use the sliding door in our dining room as our front door, so that means that the first thing people see in our house is our homeschooling area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)