Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If someone walked into your house, would they know you HomeSchool?

Posted by   + Show Post
?
by on May. 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Replies (31-40):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:35 AM

When the kids were younger about 3 years ago, yes.  Now that they're older, they school in the study, their rooms or anywhere else they feel comfortable... needless to say our house looks less school like and more like a home where a kid could do homework or schoolwork where they'd like.

We've long since discarded the number-line that hung as a border and instead we have a room full of books with a few desks full of computers that is the primary room that could be assumed as a school room if a person looked hard enough at a few titles of the books.  We have recreational and books we read for enjoyment in that room as well, so doubtful.

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on May. 6, 2013 at 5:21 AM
Yes!! Because our homeschool computer desk is in the dining room and is full of papers ,books and other school items!!
Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 6, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Hmmm, not really. We have a lot of books but I have most art supplies in the art closet and unused curric in boxes in the basement. The one thing I can't hide is our big calendar and weather station, that might give us away. Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Hmmm. The small calendar, 13-foot modern manuscript alphabet banner, numbers chart, shelf after shelf of books, plastic shoe boxes of fine motor kits, arts and crafts supplies, and US flag in the living room might give it away, but someone might just think we are really into accelerated learning for our PreK bub. Baby Einstein, Your Baby Can Read, and all that nonsense are pretty popular here, so chances are good that we would just blend right in to the "normal" population.
bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM

We have Ds a desk in the living room with his school papers and books usually on top during the day.  We have a storage plastic bin with 3 drawers in the kitchen where we try to put the boys books when they are finished with them.  However, we often a project or two sitting around the house (on the dining room table).  I have educational posters in the kitchen and lots of papers that the boys have completed hanging on display.  So people probably know that we homeschool when they come to our house.

celticdragon77
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Is that a purple microscope???

Quoting kttycat84:

Yep. We use the sliding door in our dining room as our front door, so that means that the first thing people see in our house is our homeschooling area.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

kttycat84
by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Why, yes it is! :) I bought it online from Toys R Us. I love it, not only because my girls love that it's purple, but also because it has a back viewscreen so I can point out exactly what I'm trying to explain to them. And I have glasses so the traditional top view things don't work really well for me, although this has that too. It's not a super fabulous microscope, it probably wouldn't work for high school-level courses, but it's great for younger kids.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Is that a purple microscope???

Quoting kttycat84:

Yep. We use the sliding door in our dining room as our front door, so that means that the first thing people see in our house is our homeschooling area.

mhaney03
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I'm sure the chemistry posters in the dining room are a dead giveaway

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM

LOL You mean other people don't decorate with maps and chem posters?

Quoting mhaney03:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Apparently no one else has worms on the kitchen counter or freaks out when you move the box from the lawn (for goodness sakes, how will we know that the grass turns brown if you keep moving the box!!) or has lap desks hanging next to the couch!  Boy are they missing out! :-)

Quoting mem82:

LOL You mean other people don't decorate with maps and chem posters?

Quoting mhaney03:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)