Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hey ladies. I needed a bit of help and you ladies always give great advice. My son (and I) both need to shed some weight. My son would be considered obese (so would I). We started walking today and my son was acting like he was dying. (He's so dramatic.) I don't want him to be out of shape or obese. But, I also want to motivate him to be more active. He doesn't like team sports. 

So, do you ladies know how I can make this more fun for him? Or do I just push through knowing he may be uncomfortable for a while. 

Thanks in advance! 

by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Replies (11-14):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM

See if you can find on Netflix, Hulu, or online, this past season of Biggest Loser. It was a special kid edition. There were 3 kids, one was a 12 yr old boy and it was so inspirational! These kids were so excited and motivated that it really influenced my kids. My dd started losing weight after watching that because she suddenly wanted to be more active and really putting forth the effort. Kids need someone to relate to just like grown ups do. 

oahoah
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM

You could try timing him or running in little spurts-racing- who gets to the next lightpole, run past 5 sidewalk cracks, etc; My oldest hates walking/exercise but if I make it a contest it becomes more fun!  It's great that you are there alongside him, make sure you aren't complaining but are enthusiastic about it and how good you are feeling (even if you're not yet, keep telling yourself & you soon will)!  Walking is great but if he has a bike or scooter you could let him do that on occasion as well. Keep it up!

HarrisonMD
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Try riding bikes together or nature hikes if you can...after a while he will enjoy it! When they are "used" to being inactive, it takes a while for them to get into it....no judging at all! I've battled obesity my whole life and as a kid, there were times i'd rather sit on the couch instead of being active! Good luck and have fun!

jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I would approach weight loss the same way you would homeschooling.  Make it fun and help him to understand why it is important to have healthy habits.  Concentrate on the habits and not the outcome.  If you live in the country get some chickens have him chase them.  Great exercise!  Seriously I would find something you can do together.  Couple of years ago I started taking karate with my boys.  He will learn confidence, respect, hard work, and self discipline.  My oldest is the same way.  He does karate with me.  Find something that he enjoys.  Remember kids are emotionally immature and it is important to handle it delicately.  The best thing you can do is encourage him.  My karate instructor has motto that I love.  PCP(praise, correction, praise).  Every day in class he makes want to try harder.  When you can do that with your son then you will have succeeded.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)