Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Can you share pics of your homeschool rooms??

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 30 Replies

So basically we are moving into our new home the weekend of the 18th (Lord Willing) Well I had planned on using one of the bedrooms as a homeschool room, but Hubby and I decided to give each kid their own room. So instead we are using what would technical be I believe the breakfast nook, It is a room approximately 8x10 maybe 10x12 (I am bad with estimations) Its a descent size room (I will post a pic) It has a pantry (closet) in it that we will more then likely use as our homeschool closet since our kitchen has so much for cabinet space we probably wont need a pantry. And it has vynl flooring which I like the idea of. That way if we finger pant etc I dont have to worry about messes on carpets etc. It will be easy to clean up. I am trying to get an idea of how to set it up. I have stuff to hang to make it educational looking. I also have a large desk I will put in it for me to keep my records and a place for me to sit etc. We will have a small computer desk area for computer usage. But I am trying to decide what else would be useful. Should I try to find a school table and chairs for the kids to all sit at together? Or should they all sit seperate? Etc. Any suggestions would be fantastic. I will post some pics so you can see the space  I am referring to. Although it was hard to get a good picture to justify size. Any thoughts welcomed!

This is actually the room itself. YOu can see the pantry door on the left. On one side is the kitchen and dinning room. On the other side is the large living area!

This is the large living area on the one side of the room (the door you see is to the laundry area/mud room)

This is the kitchen on the other side of the room! Do you think the location is awkward? We will have people use the laundry room/mud room as the entrance door. So everyone would come into the living room, and through the homeschool area to get to the rest of the house. Again any thoughts are welcomed!

by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM

We don't have a "homeschool room" we turned our dinning room into an office/computer room for all of our education stuff to live.

HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM

All I can say is WOW!

I am Jealous

NoraDun
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Can you post a pic of how you have it set up? We currently are using our kitchen/dinning room in the house we are in now, and Hubby built shelving. So this will be new for us!

Quoting usmom3:

We don't have a "homeschool room" we turned our dinning room into an office/computer room for all of our education stuff to live.

NoraDun
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Awww why?? We have been living with my parents for the past two years, since I fractured my back after a horse back riding accident. They opened their basement for us which is unfinished. It has no flooring in it (except for the kids room) and its tiny. So this is gonna be a HUGE change from us. We are going from probably 800 sq feet (again my estimation is horrible but its just a 2 bed 1 bath) to 2,000sq feet.

Quoting HopeJoyPeace1:

All I can say is WOW!

I am Jealous

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Here is our room - it is of the kitchen on one side, and open to the living room on the other - it was a small den that I turned into the office/ school room. However, the kids use their desks and crates for storage mostly. They study onthe couch, floor or desks in their rooms.

Below is the north wall - with Heidi's desk and the loveseat - there is now a timeline that goes from the bookshelf, along the top of the couch to the end of the wall. 

Here is a view from the living room in the east to the west wall 

Then the South wall - withstorage, my desk and Ds2's desk.

Last but not least - the hallway - I have taken down the calendar and put up a detailed USA map in it's place.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

NoraDun
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Thanks for sharing, this is kinda something I have been debating. Is there really any point to setting up a table for them, or would I do better to set up like beanbag chairs or let them go where ever in the house?

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Here is our room - it is of the kitchen on one side, and open to the living room on the other - it was a small den that I turned into the office/ school room. However, the kids use their desks and crates for storage mostly. They study onthe couch, floor or desks in their rooms.

Below is the north wall - with Heidi's desk and the loveseat - there is now a timeline that goes from the bookshelf, along the top of the couch to the end of the wall. 

Here is a view from the living room in the east to the west wall 

Then the South wall - withstorage, my desk and Ds2's desk.

Last but not least - the hallway - I have taken down the calendar and put up a detailed USA map in it's place.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM

It really depends on your style and the kids. 

We pulled the kids from public school and for a LONG TIME the boys would only focus if they were at the desks. As they got acclimated to homeschooling, they began to branch out and now only use the desks if they get in trouble or for asignments where the writing needs to be REALLY neat. Evey so often I have them do a project and say, " Show me your VERY BEST work" then they will sit there. 

They do like having their own private space that thy kow their siblings will not disturb them either. I've got them trained that they don't bug anyone at theri desk. that's time for them to focus and study. They get in BIG trouble if they bug em..LOL Sometimes they will go there to do their own projects just for alone time.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 6, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Darn I thought I had pics on here. Well, we had a homeschool room and I loved it. Got preggo, became baby #3's room. Made a portion of the living room a homeschool area, liked it but not as much. Christmas came, we had to put it away and it never came back. Now we really have figured out we don't need one, but I still would like one. Lol. We have a book shelf in the living room, and a cool trofast thing from ikea in the dining area for their workboxes, and a buffet hutch holds art paper and math supplies. Then we have an art closet.
If I had a room again, I'd probably set it up with a desk for me and a dining table for them with comfy chairs. Bookshelves and a reading nook area.
I'd like the vinyl flooring because we do a lot of art.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celticdragon77
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM

This is a straight shot through the first floor of my house. Living Room, Dining Room and Kitchen.

I have a similar layout as yours, in the sense that where we do school is right smack in the middle of everything. We do school mostly in the dining room. We eat meals out there, so it has to be cleaned up when they are done. 

We have fold up tables (kind of seen in second picture) for each of the kids to use. They can sit anywhere with those. They kids all have laptops / iPads, so they are easily able to move around with those. I keep the printer in my room for now, but it is wireless. The kids each have a bean bag chair that they can use. They can read while lounging on the sofa or what not. They will have a structured portion of their day and independent time. The kids currently LOVE to all lay in my large bed with the water fountain on, and read. So, I imagine that is what will happen when homeschooling sometimes. 

I have a storage unit in my dining room that I bought at target - it has baskets in it. Above it, on the wall, is a bulletin board and marker/magnetic board. I order customer magnets for the magnetic board - that is where they will create their daily schedule of subjects, chores, playtime, etc. In the baskets (there are 6), they keep some of their more "handy" supplies. 

There is a med sized unfinished room behind the kitchen. We are going to renovate that this summer (after we finish with the kitchen cabinets), and turn it into an art studio / homeschool storage area. For now, I have been storing things in the kitchen cabinets (I have plenty of extra space). I have a lot of books up in my closet - because it has built in bookcases. Plus, I bought two gardening/garage type storage units, that I placed down in the basement for projects and such. 

I am still looking for some medium to large bulletin boards. I want one for each subject I think. I don't want to hang them up, just sit each out when needed and then put it away. I was thinking of letting the kids make up them related to what we are learning about that week. 

The kids get what they need for a subject, use the materials, then put it away. I don't see any reason why the homeschooling stuff needs to be laying all around. I want my kids to feel like its home - and less like school. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

celticdragon77
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:54 AM

By the way, your home is very nice. Congratulations!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN