Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What happens when kids don't do homework?

Posted by   + Show Post

Here's an article about a school from the 70's or so that was like unschooling except at school. Interesting perspectives from the now adult children.

CLICK ME!

by on May. 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Replies (11-17):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

They are called Sudbury Schools!

Quoting mem82:

I haven't really heard of them.

Quoting usmom3:

There are schools still to this day that are like that, I would have considered sending my kids to one if there had been one here when we first started homeschooling.

Momof697
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Still could not get it. oh well thanks for trying.

Quoting usmom3:

See if this one works

Link Here

Quoting Momof697:

I tried a couple times and could not get it. IT said it may be down or may have moved temporarily.

Quoting mem82:

I'm sorry. I'm on my tablet so I can't check it. It was an article from yahoo! Shine

Quoting Momof697:

I could not get to article

usmom3
by BJ on May. 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Try this!

http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/photo-series-explores-happens-kids-slideshow/-photo-2621866-182900189.html

Quoting Momof697:

Quoting usmom3:

See if this one works

Link Here

Quoting Momof697:

I tried a couple times and could not get it. IT said it may be down or may have moved temporarily.

Quoting mem82:

I'm sorry. I'm on my tablet so I can't check it. It was an article from yahoo! Shine

Quoting Momof697:

Momof697
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM

nope but I will try putting it in myself and see if that does the trick.  nope that did not work either. oh well  thanks for trying.

Quoting usmom3:

Try this!

http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/photo-series-explores-happens-kids-slideshow/-photo-2621866-182900189.html

Quoting Momof697:

Quoting usmom3:

See if this one works

Link Here

Quoting Momof697:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting Momof697:

celticdragon77
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I didn't read the article yet. However, I heard that there is an unschooling academy about an hour from where I live. I had never known "unschooling schools" existed till I found that out. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

celticdragon77
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I noticed that they attended the school until they were 8 - 11 yrs old. I am assuming they then went to a traditional school afterwards?! 8 is 2nd grade and 11 is 5th grade. I would have liked to have seen students who did it their entire lives. Two of the girls - also two of the longest attending students - mentioned they were not on par with others or had concerns with how they would do compared to the rest of the world. They all found decent jobs and seem to have been mostly positively affected by the school. It kind of seems to shine through their personalities, or so it seems.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 9, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I co,pletely agree!

Quoting jen2150:

sounds neat but I wonder what they do for kids that are interested in things other than art. Do you have encouragement in the higher sciences. I ask because my son wanted to study Chemistry at 8 and physics at 9. Homework does not help. It is so important to be able to follow a child's interests. I life the life of fred's quote: Children get more out a few problems done in joy than 30 problems drill and kill exercises.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN