Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

2013 - 2014 choices

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

My private schooled kids are 3 weeks away from summer break which means my homeschooled kids are getting excited for a summer break too!  Planning, planning, planning time!!!!  I love it!  But the funny thing is I actually don't even really lesson plan lol.  I choose a core curriculum for each subject, hoard a bunch of crafts, games, and activites on Pinterest, then go week by week letting the kids decide on how quickly or slowly we move through subjects.  

For those of you that use curriculum -

What curriculum choices have you decided on for the 2013-2014 school year for:

Language Arts:

Spelling:

Math:

Science:

History/Geography:

Art:

Foriegn Language:

Other:

by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I keep changing things but as of right now (or until I see other peoples responses and start looking into other stuff!), our choces are:

Language Arts:  Easy Peasy All in One Homeschool and other online resources/assignments I've saved on Pinterest. 

Spelling:  My oldest was using Abeka at his private school and likes it so I think we'll stick with that since he'll be joining my younger son at home this next year. 

Math:  Easy Peasy (but I'm thinking of Teaching Textbooks for my older and Horizons for my younger)

Science: Apologia Astronomy

History/Geography: Story of the World Volume 3.  A Child's Geography.  and I was thinking of getting a subsciption to the Little Passport series. 

Art:  Easy Peasy.  My oldest wants to take art classes also. 

Foriegn Language:  Nothing yet

Other:  We are doing Horizons penmanship, Horizons Health, Easy Peasy computer lessons, and my son wants to do the Music lesson stuff on Easy Peasy too.   

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Language arts: abeka
Writing: A reason for handwriting: Transition
Math: Rod & Staff Arithmetic 2
Science: Apologia: Zoology 1
History/Geography: BJU Heritage Studies
Art: Abeka (were going light this year)
Foreign Language: The Easy French: Junior
Other: Music: Guitar for Beginners
Bible: BJU Bible Truths: A servants heart
Health & PE

This is 2nd grade.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Language Arts:  Write Shop and Wordsmith Apprentice for writing. Mosdos for reading

Spelling: All About Spelling

Math: Math U See

Science: Real Science 4 Kids - Astronomy and Geology (which is supposed to come out Spring this year)

History/Geography: A mix of History Odyssey and Story of the World

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Foriegn Language: To be determined (which language lol)

Other: Handwriting Without Tears

For my little man:
Reading: a combination of the Reading Rainbow app, Starfall, and All About Reading
Math: Math U See
Spelling: All About Spelling (not pushing this on him so much, but getting it just in case)
Other: Handwriting Without Tears

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I do not plan to use a curriculum next year if we move in with my in laws, which is a 99.9% possibility.  If not then we will be using a public charter homeschool and I picked my curriculum with them for my oldest, my 2nd dd is going with k12 again if we stay here, and I will be making my curriculum for my preschoolers.

This is my planning for moving in with my in laws

Language Arts:

DD7- We will be studying the Chronicles of Narnia, Little House on the Prairie, Where the Sidewalk Ends, The Phantom Tollbooth and George Washington's Socks.  She will make lapbooks, write poems, write book reports and do some art projects.

DD6, DS4 and DD3 will be reading thier way through 100 Classic Stories I got from Barnes and Noble.  When we are studying poems DD6 will join DD7 in reading Where the Sidewalk Ends and DS4 and DD3 will be studying Mother Goose.

Spelling: DD7 and DD6 will be working on spelling lists from Spelling City.  I will be giving them a list of 10 words a week.  They will write them 5 times each, write them in sentences, and look for them everywhere we go.

Math: My older 2 girls will work through Khan Academy and work in thier Complete Curriculum workbooks to cover completely what they need to know.  I have workbooks for each of the two preschoolers and they will work in them as well.

Science:  We are going to research and test things we learn from The Magic School Bus series

History/Geography: We will be reading from The Magic Tree House books.  Everywhere the main charactors go we will spend a month researching the country, the food, and the culture working through that time in history and making a time line for each time and area we visit. 

Foriegn Language:  I found a website that works on Spanish and they will work on that site at thier own pace.

Other: We will also be practicing typing with Mavis Beacon daily.  This will include every member of our family.  My husband and I too.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:13 PM

For the 2013-2014 year, I think I've settled on the following for my rising 7th grader:

Language Arts:  Killgallon Elementary Story Grammar or Basic Winston Grammar, Sentence Composing or Wordsmith Apprentice, Wordly Wise 7, and Lightning Literature 7

Spelling:  Sequential Spelling 2

Math:  Art of Problem Solving PreAlgebra or Saxon 87

Science:  Apologia General Science

History/Geography:  K12 Human Odyssey 1 & Runkle Geography

Art:  Artistic Pursuits Junior High Book 1

Foriegn Language:  Latin's Not So Tough (Level 2)

Other: Lots of outside classes, field trips, and extra-curricular sports and clubs.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM

My 2nd grader:

Language Arts: Growing with Grammar, Winning with Writing, All About Reading/ Hooked on Phonics. Winning with Writing and Growing with Grammar will alternate days during the week. We homeschool during the summer so he will have plenty of time to get through both books.

Spelling: All About Spelling Lvl. 2

Math: Math U See (not sure which lvl yet. Have to test him.

Science: Harcourt Science Grade 2set with workbook and readers. We also use various resources from the library. 1st half of the year.

History/Geography: The Story of the World and Learn Our History DVDs for the first half of the year. 2nd half is going to be a Geography Curriculum.

Art: just some crafts I find online

Foriegn Language: Spanish. We use software programs, online sites, Whistle Fritz, Youtube, and The Language Tree DVD set. Probably other things as well.

Other: 2nd half of the year he will be doing Health. So after he is done with the Science half of the year. Other miscellaneous sites to help facilitate the learning and to expand upon it. Also have The Magic School Bus science kits to do with the Science Curriculum.

Kinder:

Math U See Primer and possibly Alpha depending on how far we get.

All About Reading Pre Readng Set.

He'll watch the Learn Our History DVDs with his brother. We have some Leap Frog geography items that I'll use to work with him and my oldest son.

Very basics for health. Like making sure he knows proper name of body parts and a general explanation of what those parts do.

He'll watch the science videos with his brother and help with the experiments.

He'll have arts and crafts time with his brother also.

He'll use Brainpopjr, Starfall.com and other various websites for extra activities.

I also have a 3 yr old but he is severely speech delays so I think that I'll be working with him on speaking and maybe learning colors, shapes and numbers by pointing to the correct one when I ask him to.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Language Arts:  I make my own

Spelling: Evan Moore Daily Spelling 3rd grade for Xavier, Dolch Sight Words for Levi (1st grade)

Grammar: Evan Moore Dailies for grammar and punctuation.

Phonics: Hooked on Phonics for both Levi and Quentin

Math:  Math U See Primer for Quentin, Alpha for Levi and Gamma for Xavier

Science:  Jan Cleave's Chemistry for every kid, Houghton Mifflin Science

History/Geography:  Story of the World, Scrambled States of America, and Atlases (we mostly learn the geography and a few history lessons during the school year and learn history through travel in the summer and on weekends)

Art:  Can You Find series by the Metropolitan museum of Art

Foriegn Language:  The Complete Book of Spanish Grades 1-3 for the worksheets and Lightning Fast Spanish for the oral work.

Other:  LEEP materials for Stewardship and Religious studies.  (Penelope Puddlepopper and Match) and The Now and Future Church for Xavier  and the Adventure Bible for Levi and Quentin.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM

My rising 7th grader:

At co-op:

Anatomy

Engineering

IEW (writing)

Shurley Grammar

---- I still need to purchase her textbooks for these courses, even though an outsourced teacher will be teaching them.

At home:

History: Light to the Nations 1 (Catholic Textbook Project); D'Aulaire's Greek Myths (Memoria Press)

Vocabulary: Marie's Words

Spelling: Apples and Pears C

Reading Comprehention: Seton's "Faith and Freedom Readers"

Religion: Totally Catholic!, My Jewish Friend, My Muslim Friend, Friendly Defenders, 2000 Years of Christianity, CCD at home parish

Latin: First Form Latin (Memoria Press)

Geography: Mapping the World with Art???? Maybe, lol

Italian: Duolingo

Math: Finish up "Horizons Pre Algebra" ------> move into TabletClass Algebra 1

My rising junior K/lite K student:

Memoria Press' Junior K curriculum MINUS Bible

Phonics: Phonics Pathways and maybe CHC's "Little Stories for Little Folks"

Math: Miquon and Seton Mathematics K

Religion: Seton's "Pre K religion"

... and I'm considering Classically Catholic Memory (Beta year) for both of them.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Language Arts: Abeka,reading, and their blog and comic books they are writing. Spelling: We do our own spelling. Every week my kids chose 5 words they want to learn and then decide how they want to learn them. Math: Teaching textbooks and life of fred Science: simple homeschool online and cd program. My younger son is doing bugs and amphibians and my older son is doing middle school physics History/Geography: We will be reading the story of physics and the story of chemistry books. It combines history and science. We will also be reading the story of Us by Joy Hakim and trail guide to US geography Art: We do art projects at home and they also take art at co-op. I like the geography through art books Other: I am planning a class on creative math. I have a bunch of different books I will ordering. I also am waiting for Math in motion to come. It teaches math through oragami. I also just received a bunch of books that use graphing to create art pictures. They are very neat.
MonkeyPeanut79
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Language arts and spelling I choose McRuffy. Both are incorporated in the program.

Math is Horizons again.

Science is Interactive Science from Pearson Homeschool.

History is History Odyessy from Pandia Press

Art is ARTistic Pursuits.

My oldest is going into second grade and this is the first year that we aren't doing a boxed curriculum. I agonized over curriculum for months but I think that these are good choices for us. At least I hope so :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)