Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My private schooled kids are 3 weeks away from summer break which means my homeschooled kids are getting excited for a summer break too!  Planning, planning, planning time!!!!  I love it!  But the funny thing is I actually don't even really lesson plan lol.  I choose a core curriculum for each subject, hoard a bunch of crafts, games, and activites on Pinterest, then go week by week letting the kids decide on how quickly or slowly we move through subjects.  

For those of you that use curriculum -

What curriculum choices have you decided on for the 2013-2014 school year for:

Language Arts:

Spelling:

Math:

Science:

History/Geography:

Art:

Foriegn Language:

Other:

by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Replies (11-20):
Maridel
by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Language Arts: Bigger Stories for Little Folks, Language of God, and My Catholic Speller all from Catholic Heritage Curricula

Math: Math U See

Science: Behold and See 2 from CHC

Social Studies: we are Touring the Continents with CHC guide, 5 weeks in each continent.

Foreign Language: Rosetta Stone Spanish

Other: Faith and Life 1

Maridel
by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM
and art is pinterest lol
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM

What curriculum choices have you decided on for the 2013-2014 school year for:

Language Arts:  Lightning Literature 7 for literature, Essentials in Writing 7 for writing, Winston Grammar Basics for grammar.

Spelling: All About Spelling

Math: Lial's Pre Algebra with Life of Fred Pre Algebra 1 and 2

Science: Mr. Q's Advanced Chemistry

History/Geography: Trail Guide to American Geography or something like that.  And Sonlight American History Part 2 (Core E)

Art: Atelier Art

Foriegn Language: Irasshai Japanese

Other:  Hands on stuff for history as well.

CJsMommy040506
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Language arts: kinder- McRuffy, second- debating on McRuffy since it's phonics, reading, spelling, and grammar. I've considered A Beka reading and phonics, All About Spelling, and BJU English but the costs would probably be a lot more than McRuffy.

Math: Math U See, Alpha for second, will do Beta too, and Primer for K

Science: Apologia Flying Creatures for both

History: Elemental History, and Confessions of a Homeschooler's world geography. We've been reading through the Magic Tree House books, we'll add lessons with that

Art: they're taking a class with drawing painting and sculpting weekly

Foreign language: I want to do Spanish but I hacen't began researching

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I've only been HSing for three years, and two of mine were public schooled before that.  I didn't know much, so I've used different curriculum.

I'm pretty much settled on Rod & Staff English for my elementary and middle school kids.   It teaches it really well, and is a very strongly structured hard-core approach to grammar and english and has improved their writing comp. tremendously.  It's also easy to teach.

Math?  I've struggled with liking math curriculum, however, I'm switching to Math U See, and unless it's just terrible, I'm going to stick with it until at least high school.   For my eldest that wants a very science and math based field, she will probably need to do saxon or something in her upper maths, but we'll see.

I'm jumping on the Apologia bandwagon this year, and I'm soooo excited.  We cannot WAIT and are actually doing BOTH Astronomy and Anatomy (I'm justifying that it's a health program, LOL!) this next year so that my 11 yr old gets an opportunity to do some of their elementary sciences before moving to high school.

For social studies, we have done unit studies...My Father's World... and time4learning.com.  They want to cover American History next, so I picked Rod & Staff 5th grade and may continue with R&S through elementary if we like it.

Other things we will be using...

SOS Elementary Spanish,  Handwriting without Tears, R & Staff spelling, and typing and we learn a little bit of ASL on our own.

For my younger, we will begin doing my phonics program whenever she is ready and is reading words and can write a little better.   I have a phonics program from K-12, and I love it... it's the only thing I've kept from them.

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on May. 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM

DD is only 2 1/2 so we aren't really using curriculum yet, but I am going to start Easy Peasy's Getting Ready 1 with her in August and see how she does. We may use it for two years but if she gets it in one she'll just start the next one early!

Beardancinhands
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Both of my girls are out of public school for the summer and I thought about getting some enrichment stuff going for them any suggestions? My 4yr old is very creative and my 10 yr old loves sports. I was hopping to start a book with them to help teach them creative writing and maybe comic art. I've been wanting to home school them for along time and I might when we get moved to Nebraska.

coala
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM

We are using ABeka for everything.  I don't see us changing anytime soon.  Right now my summer "Christmas" is sitting in my living room.  I have told myself that I won't touch it until the kids finish.  My oldest will finish June 28th and the youngest on July 23rd.  I am so excited....it is getting close.

energygirl
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:18 PM

We are using Horizon for Math...and Sonlight for everything else.  (I'll have a first grader, a kinder...and a 3 year old that joins in "when she wants to") so I wanted curriculum where the kids could do most subjects (except language and math) all together as a group.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Language Arts: hooked on phonics, HWT, literature pockets

Spelling: not using a program yet. For now I combine it with handwriting and give her 3 to 5 words a day to write on her own.

Math: Miquon and Singapore

Science: Lots! we're working through several things right now and we'll just keep going and add in new as we finish up some. We're doing an astronomy study from intelligo, a My Body study from Evan Moore, and working our way through an animal encyclopedia and a human body encyclopedia. I just today printed off another Evan Moore book, it's another astronomy one. We'll start that soon. We also have a box of experiments we pull out here and there. In the qeue for when we finish something is Evan Moore daily literacy science. In about a year we'll start NOEO biology.

History/Geography: story of the world and activity guide. We're working on state capitals right now. When she has that down, we'll start Road Trip USA from confessions. And daily geography from Evan Moore.

Art: SIL does most of this as she's an artist and I can't draw a straight stick figure. But we do painting and crafts.

Foriegn Language: Spanish with Little Pim and Salsa. ASL from Signing Time and me

Other: whatever is left of SL p4/5 which we're doing now. piano lessons, dance/tumble class, and soccer. Critical thinking. Lots of games and hands on stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)