Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My private schooled kids are 3 weeks away from summer break which means my homeschooled kids are getting excited for a summer break too!  Planning, planning, planning time!!!!  I love it!  But the funny thing is I actually don't even really lesson plan lol.  I choose a core curriculum for each subject, hoard a bunch of crafts, games, and activites on Pinterest, then go week by week letting the kids decide on how quickly or slowly we move through subjects.  

For those of you that use curriculum -

What curriculum choices have you decided on for the 2013-2014 school year for:

Language Arts:

Spelling:

Math:

Science:

History/Geography:

Art:

Foriegn Language:

Other:

by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Replies (21-30):
priscillagrim
by on May. 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Check out http://powermylearning.com/summer for summer activities. :)

krysxo
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM
I finally can add mine woot!

Reading/Phonics: explode the code and readers from library
Math: Math u see... alpha and gamma
SCience: bju science 3 for both
WRiting: write with ease
GRammar: first language lessons
HIstory: story of the world vol 1
Spelling: online resource and sight word list
Electives: bible and spanish online resources :)

Homeschooling a 1st grader and 3rd 1st yr!!
lucsch
by on May. 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I use Heart of Dakota so everything is really specified, but I am a tweaker!

Language Arts: R&S and IEW All Things Fun & Fascinating

Spelling: CLP Building Spelling Skills

Math: Christian Light Education

Science: HOD's plus Apologia Botany and Physics & Chemistry

History/Geography: A Child's History of the World, Grandpa's box and a bunch of other history readers

Art: Draw & Write Through HIstory

Foriegn Language: Greek

Health: Prudence and the Millers, reader and workbook

Other: Piano/Flute/Dance/Co-op (gymtime)

HOD includes history/science/poetry/reading/copywork/dictation/Bible--we will use the Preparing level

kmath
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Language Arts- Explode the Code and probably some Spectrum Workbooks and Madlibs

Math- Math U See

History/Geography- Story of the World (probably, still not 100%) and some stuff on the US States

Spelling- Spelling Workout

Science- Elementary Level Physical Science and some other stuff I picked up

Other- Spanish but not sure what exactly we are getting for it and some health stuff that I cobbled together from the internet

We are also going to incorperate Magic School Bus and Magic Tree House books into our lessons.  He is a rising 2nd grader.

QueenCreole313
by on May. 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I'm still not decided completely. Anyone use Monarch???
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Quoting rsrangel:

What curriculum choices have you decided on for the 2013-2014 school year for:

Language Arts: We do an occasional worksheet, but mostly cover this through spelling, handwriting, and writing assignments

Spelling: Spelling Workout

Math: Saxon 5/4 for my fifth grader; Saxon 1 for my first grader. Haven't decided on one for my 2nd grader yet... looking into Math-U-See but may do Saxon for continuity.

Science: Delta Education Science in a Nutshell

History/Geography: Sonlight - readers and history; we are studying the Civil War through now this year in US History. We are studying China, Egypt, and Australia as well.

Art:We will study one artist each Friday and do an activity in that style or fashion. They also take a one-hour-a-week art class with about four other students (just finished a six week class on pointillism). 

Foriegn Language:Rosetta Stone Spanish for Homeschool. Mainly my oldest (10) but the younger two like to do a lesson once in awhile. We also do Spanish mini-books and readers. I am fluent in Spanish but haven't worked on it too much with them yet.

Other:

We do a number of classes through our homeschool co-op. Depending on what will be offerred, we'll likely do sewing, stage skills, history/economics, P.E., and some sort of music class.

My oldest and middle child do piano lessons once a week.

Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, church activities.

Family field trips to Lincoln's boyhood home this summer, and to a Civil War re-enactment in the fall. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM
I'm still piecing mine together.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Bkargh! Lol
CatFishMom
by on May. 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Weve just started Excellence in Writing, reading and writing/spelling, Elemental Science, Elemental History, and I just purchased Right Start math and a geography program I cant remember the name to, :-), at the homeschool convention my husband and I attended last weekend. Im getting a head start on the first three there, and will probably start the other two when they arrive because I'll have to actually take a summer break due to our third baby due in July. Otherwise, I pretty much plan to school year round. (My oldest is turning five in August, so it was our first real year of schooling this past year, Im still feeling my way along planning and schedules)

I feel like I really need to find an art curriculum, my son has recently begun drawing like crazy, but honestly, the science and history curriculums have so many projects that Im not sure if I want to add in too much more on that front, and Im leaving foreign language to my husband. I did some work with sign language earlier in the year but I slacked really badly, so I dont know if I'll continue with that or not in September. My husband wants my son to learn Spanish but I dont like the language, dont know it, and would prefer to teach French, of which I actually speak a little, so I told him if he wants to teach Spanish, it's on him. Hes good with that.

mylovey
by on May. 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Language Arts: Starfall Curriculum (not 100 percent)

Spelling: Starfall as well

Math: McRuffy Press

Science: McRuffy Press

History/Geography: Elemental History and Beginning Geography by Evan-Moor and Geopuzzles.

Art: Home Art Studio

Foreign Language: Song School Spanish

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)