Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Totally over thought that lesson

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
  • 9 Replies
3 moms liked this

Well first off let me say ive been way too excited about starting school...originally I planned on teaching my daughter 3yr preschool this year and did actual lessons for a few months and then that sort of dwindled down but were constantly learning through play or games and she learned to read this year and is practicing writing in fun ways so its worked out well. And i have been getting my extra room turned into our classroom this month and I'm wait too excited. I kept thinking of all these lessons on stuff she needed to work on but i wanted to start our official school year in August... then I got smart and realied why waste all this precious time when shes eager to learn and her mind is like a little sponge! So I decided starting this week we would do one hour or so a day on the things i jsut feel we should review or work on before our technical 4k year starts. So im sure many of you saw my post asking about how to teach vowels. She already knows all her letter sound but i had never taught her that they were called vowels and it was making taching reading rules hard. So today I decided to start with this. And I was totally over thinking it!! In a 15-20 minute lesson she can go through a book and tell you which letters are vowels and even remebers sometimes Y. She also seems to be grasping what shorts and long vowels are. I didnt realize se would catch on and memorize them so quickly. I have short and long vowel posters and we watched a song/video on youtube with a very catchy tune then read chicka chicka boom boom and she had to tell me every time she saw a vowel on the tree then after out other lessons we went back to it at sand the alphabet along with the border and she had to jump and cheer every time we got to a vowel. She loved it and grasped the concept so quickly, I'm so happy i started now. 

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM

We have been doing the same thing start with lesson plan. Now we play read write sing song and art  projects. I work with my children with different movies and songs and dance  music like http://www.havefunteaching.com/

Damand.com

Leapfrog and of course play.

JocelynsMama1
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

in August we will be going back to scheduled lesson plans but all my lesson plans include a mix of songs, games, videos, and crafts...i feel thats how kids learn best

Quoting motheroffour186:

We have been doing the same thing start with lesson plan. Now we play read write sing song and art  projects. I work with my children with different movies and songs and dance  music like http://www.havefunteaching.com/

Damand.com

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

JocelynsMama1
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM

and thanks for the websites :) what grades are you teaching right now?

Quoting motheroffour186:

Damand.com

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:50 PM

two preschool but they are working on kindergartens things as well and 5th grade and then 8th grade

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting motheroffour186:

Damand.com

JocelynsMama1
by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM

my preschooler is ready for kindergarten as well im so excited for this school year....do you follow a set curriculum with them or jsut whatever they are interested in?

Quoting motheroffour186:

two preschool but they are working on kindergartens things as well and 5th grade and then 8th grade

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting motheroffour186:

Damand.com

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

great job!

Joann.HS
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Awesome
usmom3
by BJ on May. 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM

So glade that it went so well for her.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM
we do letters we do shapes we do numbers we read write and we draw pick a letter number shape a week find books movies on and I pick one a day to work on. On Friday we bring it all together. We have all over all town to learn we learn pattern with clothes

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

my preschooler is ready for kindergarten as well im so excited for this school year....do you follow a set curriculum with them or jsut whatever they are interested in?

Quoting motheroffour186:

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting motheroffour186:

Damand.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)