Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do your math! Do your math! Do your math!!

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

OMG! DO YOUR MATH! Sit down! Stop wandering away! Don't just stare at the paper! Do the work so we can MOVE ON!

Ugh! I'm just so tired of it. I've tried to encourage, yell, bribe, do it with him, explain, explain, explain. Nothing is working. It's a beautiful day here today and I told him that we can go to the park if he works hard on math today. We have been doing math for TWO HOURS and aren't done. Nothing else is going to get done today.I've tried to let him sit wherever he wants in the house because I was thinking that he would work harder if he was more comfy. Nope he has to sit at the table and I have to be standing over him in order for math to get done.

He LOVES school if he doesn't have to do any work. When we are reading the history or science books he listens and school goes great. When he has to sit down and answer questions about what we read, or do his handwriting, or math that's when the whining starts.

This year has sucked so much that I wonder if I'm doing him a disservice and he should just be in public school. Sorry, I just needed to vent today.

by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
celticdragon77
by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Try taking the math outside with some sidewalk chalk?

MonkeyPeanut79
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

That's a GREAT idea! Thank you so much! As easy as that my mood changed :) Going to take the kids outside now

Quoting celticdragon77:

Try taking the math outside with some sidewalk chalk?

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM
I had that issue to. Any kind of work was becoming a nightmare. Well I have just started to allow him to play all day long and do school the last few hours of the day before he has to bathe, teeth brushed, and bed. It has been working wonderfully. It's like he's gotten out all of his energy so he can focus more.
usmom3
by BJ on May. 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Looks like you just pin pointed your problem! He hates the boring stuff & who can blame him! I hated all that stuff as a kid & as an adult! That is why we don't do any of that stuff! Why do you have to have him answer questions on paper? why not talk to him & ask the question in a conversation over a snack (much less pressure that way). As far as math that can be learned in everyday life, cooking (fractions), shopping (money math), Heck laundry (have him count & sort the socks & subtract as they get folded & separated to the different owners). What is more important for you to have piles of worksheets to show he did work or for him to know & be able to use what he is learning? Kids learn & retain what they learn so much better if they like & enjoy how & what they learn!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

How old?  Are you doing drill and kill or just doing enough for him to show you that he understands?  How many problems?  What kind of problems?

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM

What curriculum are you using?   For example, I think I remember reading in the Saxon math we used to use to NOT assign every problem, but to say assign odds or evens and then use the opposite one if you need more review.

MonkeyPeanut79
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM

He's 7 and we're doing Horizons math. I think we both just want this school year to be over. I'm honestly so sick of doing school and we didn't enjoy this year as much because of the curriculum overall. I'm so glad that I choose something different for next year :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN