Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Was it an easy decision to make?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM
  • 37 Replies

Have you always known you wanted to homeschool or did something in the public school system cause you choose this path?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM

We chose homeschooling after my oldest struggled in PS & was bullied by students & staff. Our other 2 children have always been homeschooled.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:46 PM
I pretty much always wanted to home school, although we did discuss other options.
CatFishMom
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

When I moved to FL ten years ago and discovered the school lists with insane amounts of supplies being asked for, not to mention the 'extras' that were required and the fact that everything was NOT to have the student's name on it, it was all communal, I laughed and said no way, those teachers will hate me when my kid walks in with one of everything and his/her name on every item because Im not supplying the entire classroom with sixty dollars worth of supplies, plus three gallons of bleach, clorox wipes, ziploc bags, and who knows what else. I was eighteen, it was mostly a joke even though I was serious about being pissed at the absurdity of the lists.

Then I got older, got more knowledge of how bad the school systems here actually are and started talking to my husband about it when we got married. By the time we actually had a baby, the choice had been made and it wasnt a very difficult one for us.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on May. 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM

First, I like your screenname unless the 12 is for brady ;)

I never thought I'd homeschool. We moved to California after my son was born & I knew there was no way I wanted to send him to the schools nearby. Now I love it

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Never thought I'd homeschool, until my very precocious 8 year old dd was bored, fidgety, and lost all desire to learn in her gifted academy.  I wanted my bubbly, curious kid back.  Homeschooling went so well and was so wonderful that ds started homeschooling in Kindy and oldest dd chose to come home for 8th grade.  My girls went on to public high school (one for journalism and one for performing arts), but ds is still homeschooling.  I think he's in it for the long haul.  :)

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:02 PM

The public school definitely pushed us. I'm glad we went down this path tho :)

Kat0038
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I knew I wanted to homeschool from the based on memories of what happened to me in public schools 

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

It was not a hard decision for me at all.  I hated my children being away from me each day.  The very week I learned of home education I yanked them out and they were taught at home from then on.  That was 20 yrs ago :-)

ilovemy3boys
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Nope never even thought about home schooling. My oldest ds was bullied for being smart, the teachers were so rude and at one point told my son to grow thicker skin when another kids called him a little gay bitch, all because he got an a on the math test.  The schools suck where we use to live and when we moved I just kwpt home schooling. 

CJsMommy040506
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I had never even heard of it until a few years ago. My son has been in PS for two years. It's definitely a hard decision, mostly based on how active my son is and how often he's in trouble. Then for moral reasons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN